Arp stud quest - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Lightbulb Arp stud quest

Well I'm back from vacation and started the oe oil cooler, egr delete, arp studs, and hopefully a powermax:please.
I had a lot of trouble getting the coolant flushed good, it took me 2 days and some ungodly amount of destilled water but I got it. I started the tear down today I got the degas off, batteries out, Ficm out, turbo off, alternator, and the fuel and oil filter assy. off. Tommorrow I hope to get the intake manifold off, oil cooler, fan shroud, egr cooler, turbo stand, ipr valve, and if there is time oil rails.
I have a few questions maybe somebody can answer.
1. After I take off the fan shroud can I see the tension pulley to reinstall the acc. belt?
2. After I did the chemical flush my delta went down to 12*. Is this common? I'm just curious.
3. Do I have to remove the evaporator on passenger side to install the arp studs? Just curious.
I'm all about working smarter not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ok day 2. I got the radiator out, fan shroud off, egr cooler out, intake manifold out, oil cooler out, removed the turbo pedistal, and the hood off. Tommorrow I planing on taking the up pipe out ( those bolts would not budge on the passenger side so I soaked the in wd40), clean out under the oil cooler (all the oil), remove the glow plug rail, injectors, the starter,and the heads last. Wish me luck. I got all day.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have done 2 of the with ought messing with the ac box you can remove the drivers motor mount by jacking the motor up till the passengers valve cover just hits the ac box it gives you plenty of room with out taking a chance of messing up your ac just watch or remove your powerstering pump when you let the motor back down it will hit the crossmember and pinch it's hose

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ok day three, I got the up-pipe out, everything disconnected from the heads, and I decided to pull the evaporator out but pretty cool method slandry. Thanks for the input. I got napa going to check the level on the heads for me. I was going to have them pressure tested but their machine is broke. Do you think I need to have it done?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
Ok day three, I got the up-pipe out, everything disconnected from the heads, and I decided to pull the evaporator out but pretty cool method slandry. Thanks for the input. I got napa going to check the level on the heads for me. I was going to have them pressure tested but their machine is broke. Do you think I need to have it done?
YES and this thread is proof

Ford 6.0 Diesel woes (DON"T MILL THEM!!)!!)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
The Silent Service

1) Take your time with the Heads. That is the key to this whole process with gaskets. Get them fully checked and pressure tested. If in doubt, get a second opinion. Make sure you prep the surfaces.

2) Make sure you only reinstall those heads with OEM gaskets.

3) One last piece of advice, follow the ARP recommendations for Torquing those bolts. A few shops have been overtorquing the studs and that leads to issues down the road because it weakens the stud itself.

A note on your Powermax plans, I recommend you look at a number of the turbo threads circulating around the ORG on Mad Turbo Werks turbos. I think they are a much better option than the Pmax.

I also have a lot of information on this job in a bullet-proofing thread as a sticky in the 6.0L General Section that you may find useful.

Last edited by colo_dually; 06-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
I would make sure you find a shop that knows these heads I had both sets checked a milled make sure you take your time and get the block clean to every think I have learned tells me these gaskets like clean and flat

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Also when reinstalling make sure your push rods are in the lifter correct it is very easy to get them off just a bit and thay will bend I also took the time to roll the motor by hand before installing the injectors that how I found I didn't have the push rod just right when it hit the piston it could have been bad if I was using the starter

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slandry786 View Post
I would make sure you find a shop that knows these heads I had both sets checked a milled make sure you take your time and get the block clean to every think I have learned tells me these gaskets like clean and flat

Agreed.

You don't want to have to do this twice like me...Call around to the local diesel places and see where they send their heads to get machined.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks guys. I will get on the phone in the morning and find a shop to fully check the heads. I will keep you guys posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.