Need help -broke down on road - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help -broke down on road

I have a 06 F350 6.0
It lost power (like lost turbo) so pulled off road. While pulling off road heard knocking noise so shut off right away. It would (will) not restart. On first attempt it started to turn over then stopped cranking suddenly. Now it will not crank. Starter engauges.
I have a code of P0272. From What I know it is a #4 injector code.

I'm assuming the injector is bad and when I shut down truck it let fuel into cylinder and now locking up engine on #4 cylinder because of fuel in cylinder.

If this is true -- how do I get fuel out? Is it possible to try to hand crank to check to make sure the engine will turn?

I have tools with me so I can tear into it. Just might not have all I need. Plus would have to find someone with injector.

Any more idea's ? What not to do????? I'm assuming I should not try to start, or even turn key on, since it would only dump more fuel into cylinder if that is what it is doing. Is there a way to shut off fuel pumps or stop fuel from going to injectors while turning engine over with starter?

I had it towed to a Pilot and they have a place to work on it but will not touch it until Monday. Said could not get injector untl then.

Have family with me, just starting vaction. Was pulling camper so have place to stay.

I have also replace #7 injector back in March so I have the know how. But would help if I had the links that is on here for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could take the glow plug out of #4 and crank it. That would shoot iut whatever is in tgere. Only issue is it would blast fuel over the inside of your compartment. If you lrft your valve cover on and cranked it would contaminate your oil. You could get a spray bottle with a long lead and drop the lead through the glow plug hole and squirt it out and then turn it over to get the remainder out. Problem is how do you keep the injector from just doing it again...your kind if stuck with no injector. Not sure if unhooking just that injectors solenoid would keep it from firing....might be able to limp it like that. Id wait for some better advice in driving with one injector unhooked. Good luck, that sucks that it decided to let go on vacation day
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM

I was not planing on driving it with a bad injector. I think I can get one in the morning.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:26 PM

sae - I'll have to say....you appear to be taking this all quite well....MUCH better than I would be! Fortunately you are off the road and you have a place to stay.

Sorry to hear that this happened on your vacation. Never a good time...but this is worse than just happening on your way to work.

Take care and I hope it works out for you soon. Let us know when you return to the open roads and the solution to the issue at hand.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM

I would bet it is either injector O-ring or injector! Mine broke me down on the road one morning for o-rings!

Has the injectors Ben acting up in it! They will fail randomlly I guess but they should have showed some sign of failure!

An O-ring will give it up all at once!

My suggestion is buy some o rings but have an injector on standby!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 PM

I remember reading somewhere that if you full throttle while starting it will cutt off fuel while starting. May have been the owners manual talking about how to start it during extreme cold weather.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks for your help. We are back on the road again. I was able to turn crank by hand and apparently had just enough fuel in cylinder to lock it up at top. I was able to turn it all the way over a couple of times and then pulled elec. Plug on fuel pump and engine turned over easy with starter. I unplugged fuel pump to keep more fuel from going into cylinder. Did a quick run test and it run bad but no bad noises except what a bad injector makes. So I was able to go get a injector in the eve and had it replaced and truck running by 11pm. We back on the road by midnight for a couple hours before getting some sleep. I thought the couple hours was good on new injector an work before the 10 hours today.
Again thanks for all your help!!!!

I know the o-rings were bad but replaced the hole injector. The injector was not even finger tight.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Wow, nice work. Try to enjoy the remainder of your vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.