6.0 vs ecoboost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 vs ecoboost

Well I have been looking around this site for the past month and I have learned a lot about the 6.0 ps. I know I would love to have one. The thing is my wife just gave me an option that if I want the new Ecoboost I can have it. I am really torn right now. The truck is goin to be a daily driver (about 2 hours round trip) to work. I don't haul that much, Maybe a car on a trailer from time to time. But I have always wanted a f250. I know when I get a truck it will have to be a four door short bed that's 4x4. I really don't know much about the Ecoboost. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buddy has the ecoboost and it's a great truck.... Great mileage and really no complaints.... I drive my 6.0 2 hrs each way everyday and would love the mileage of the ecoboost.... But I just love the size of my 250 and knowing that at anytime I can hook up to anything and pull it.... Lol

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
The Silent Service

It comes down to cost-benefit, and what you want to do.

I enjoy my 6.0L diesel, its my dream truck and it was a custom order from the factory. Never could replace what it means to me if I tried. That being said, the 6.0L has its flaws, but I think for the investment between the two trucks (including bullet-proofing) you are better off with the 6.0L. And you won't be taking the initial depreciation value hit, on the new truck.

If you were a short-distance commuter, I'd recommend the gasser, barely. I have test driven two EcoBoost's, when getting ready to buy my wife's F150 (ended up with a used 5.4L). They are great trucks for the 1/2 Ton class, but they don't hold a candle to the tuned 6.0L I drive.

Will the F150 tow your load, absolutely, but you'll find the 6.0L/5R110 will tow it with more confidence and reliability (and all its going to take is a monitor).
Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are going to keep the truck long term, either is a great option. Now, the 6.0 is slowly beginning to go the way of the 7.3. What I mean as the dpf and cow pee tanks(urea) become more and more common, the 6.0's flaws don't really seem to be all that bad and the prices aren't falling as fast as they once did. And like colo said,the only mandatory item is a monitor for the 6.0 and keeping up on maintenance.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM

I think she said if you want it you can get it, so she can have it. lol The ecoboost trucks are pretty nice though. But it all depends on what you want it for and what you really need it for.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM

If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Ecoboost. Better mileage and you still got all the power you need for tow or play. I got my 6.0 to pull my 26' gooseneck, which it did great, until a rod went thru the block without warning. Not trying to scare you though, I still love my truck and its will be fixed by September. But considering that I only go camping maybe 3 times a year if I am lucky, the Ecoboost would have done me great. Not to mention gas is cheaper.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have been doing some research on other sites and forums and the Ecoboost is only getting 17 to 19 mpg. I really thought they would be in the mid 20s. I am starting to think a ps is the way to go. Is it true that you can get 20 mpg out of a ps? Plus when I think of diesels I think of trucks that have over 300k miles on them and are still running strong. Idk but I know I deffinitaly have a lot of research ahead of me. I can't just go off of one website bashing the Ecoboost. I really do thank the people who have gone and test rode them and are giving me the info. I wish I had time to go test drive one but truthfully working 70 hr a week I really don't have time right now. Everything I research I am doing at work on my breaks. Thanks guys and keep the responses coming. I really love to hear what you guys think.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
IDK.... I would go with a Superduty hands down. I have a few friends with new F150s. Very nice trucks! Most are Ecos. One has the 5.0. Trully, Im not sure the eco is even worth the extra cost over the 5L...
Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Commuting that far I say ecoboost. Faster, better mpg, smoother, quieter, cheeaper gas, cheaper maintenance, easier parking. Crap I think I'm getting old lol
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

Every time you hop into a new vehicle whether truck or car they always are better than what you are driving at the moment LOL Fuel prices around here are the same for regular and diesel for time being. I love the Super Duty size and wouldn't down size for anything. IMO. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.