Experienced '03 EGR delete guys need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Experienced '03 EGR delete guys need advice

Hi,
I'm doing a delete on my cousin's '03 (I've done the same on my '04) any differences I need to watch for. Turbo mount is different, any trick tools/methods? The intake has a rear crossover, the injector harness is different, can it be unfastened like an '04? Any hints, tips, or advice, I'm a good student, thanks ahead.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If yours is an early 04 there is nothing different. It's not too bad just be careful with the injector clips and take your time.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Nope, I got a late '04 ICP on RS valve cover.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Then I think that will be your only difference really. Im not sure when they changed the turbo pedestool but I think it was in 05. Ether way use A LOT of penetrating oil on those bolts. I almost striped mine the first time I got it out.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I noticed that the 03 turbos (in 03 pedestals) were A PITA to take out compared to my 05...

Atleast now I know that You do not need to take apart EVERYTHING to get the egr cooler out

First time I did it I took off the whole intake manifold
then I realized that there are only two freaking bolts holding the cooler to the manifold, and the blue cooler rubber connector can slide off without the need of a knife
Old 06-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it still that the intake manifold can just be loosend and the cooler wiggled out from under it?

If you wanted to be cheap just take the cooler out, give it a thorough cleaning and weld a thick steel slug in each end and put it back on. The up-pipe has no scoop and if the cooler did bust, who cares, it's just another piece of tubing in the coolant track.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would remove the intake manifold anyway, gives you a chance to soak it in a garbage can with cleaner, then use a bottle brush of sorts to clean out the inside of the manifold. Gets all that soot build up out.

Also a good chance to clean the turbo, inspect the ICP and harness.

It's basically the same procedure thru all years, I do believe the wire harness around the oil filter housing is routed different, no big deal.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Rear turbo bolt is a tough nut to crack. Use your BEST 10MM 6-point socket, have someone hold the socket tightly on the bolt then using a pry bar push the handle of the wrench from the passenger side (it'll make more sense when you get in there). If / when it strips get this kit to remove the stripped bolt. I would also recommend buying new turbo mount bolts and spacers and gobbling them up with never-sieze.

Just a thought, why not disconnect the EGR valve and leave the EGR cooler in there? The 03's coolers are far more robust, and disconnecting the valve will stop the exhaust from entering the engine.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IIRC, the bp in the exhaust can force the valve open. Plus, what if the cooler does bust? Lilpooh, I agree with cleaning the manifold out, but was just saying for ease of job sake. Even though it's the half ### way to do it( I mean the manifold.)
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 AM

Yeah guys, I intend to do the full Monty like my '04, clean turbo, soak and clean that VILE INTAKE, God I spent the most time cleaning the slime out of that than anything else, I also pull the entire up-pipe, and install new manifold bolts. We are installing NC Hornet's CCV mod, I've put 18K on my engine since the install, pulled my 31' travel trailer no issues and no oil leaks. I'm pumped I actually LIKE working on these engines................but, I have a topside creeper too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.