Flushing and reverse flushing questions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushing and reverse flushing questions!

Ok I'm getting ready to replace my oil cooler along with a egr delete and all the other goodies. I want to make sure my agenda looks like it suppose to. Im going to have to do the mega flush along with a reverse flush after. My coolant is the dirtiest Ive ever seen in a 6.0. Ok here it goes.

1. Coolant filter a week or so before my flush
2. Drain coolant by pulling lower radiator hose along with block drain plugs
3. Tap water flush until all old coolant is removed.
4. Tap water flush with restore, drain.
5. Tap water flush with vc9, drain.
6. Reverse flush for 30 minutes or so???
7. 7 to 8 flush cycles of distilled water
8. Then add 3.5 gallons of my elc and top with distilled water??

Someone please let me know if any of that is wrong because I want to do the job right and not half *** anything.

Now my next question is how long do I wait after to do my oil cooler? Can it be done right after if my deltas to high to drive or drive a week or so then change? Also do I have to drain the coolant again to do the oil cooler and egr delete. I guess if I do I will be only adding about 3.5 of pre mixed of elc and distilled or untill full. I know this is a much talked about subject and I have read a ton just want to sure up before I tear into her. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Ok I'm getting ready to replace my oil cooler along with a egr delete and all the other goodies. I want to make sure my agenda looks like it suppose to. Im going to have to do the mega flush along with a reverse flush after. My coolant is the dirtiest Ive ever seen in a 6.0. Ok here it goes.

This is how I'd do it.

1. Coolant filter a week or so before my flush
2. Drain coolant by pulling lower radiator hose along with block drain plugs
3. Tap water flush until all old coolant is removed.
4. Tap water flush with restore, drain.
5. Tap water flush with vc9, drain.
6. Reverse flush for 30 minutes or so???
7. 7 to 8 flush cycles of distilled water
8.install new oil cooler, egr delete, any other work like STC fitting etc.
Then add 3.5 gallons of my elc and top with distilled water??

Someone please let me know if any of that is wrong because I want to do the job right and not half *** anything.

Now my next question is how long do I wait after to do my oil cooler? Can it be done right after if my deltas to high to drive or drive a week or so then change? Also do I have to drain the coolant again to do the oil cooler and egr delete. I guess if I do I will be only adding about 3.5 of pre mixed of elc and distilled or untill full. I know this is a much talked about subject and I have read a ton just want to sure up before I tear into her. Thanks

Other opinions may vary.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM

I did an oil cooler job last year without doing the correct flush. Noticed my delta was getting worse and worse. Finally hit about 17* doing the correct test. Did a restore and restore plus flush. Plus back flush by pouring restore directly into the oil cooler and using a pressure washer to flush out the oil cooler. Now my deltas only top about 9*. So oil cooler job may not be necessary. Thats just my experience, your procedure looks good though. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I wouldn't worry about the reverse flush if your replacing the oil cooler. Only.other thing is you should put a coolant filter on and make sure the 3.5g of elf is concentrate. Everything.else sounds ok.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the Advice guys. Pgreensvt that would be better replacing before Adding my new expensive coolant. Id hate to fill it up then drain it right back out. Pointless. Knock it all out at once seems to be the way to go IMO

Warchild, it wouldn't hurt to do the reverse anyways would it?. Every little bit I can do to drain some crap out of the system would be better. Even if it does push some stuff out of the old cooler before replacing. My system is so dirty that I have a feeling it will clog my new cooler up as well.

Befor till deciding on egr delete or bpd cooler. I'm trying to figure out my emissions. I run but it's only a obd test and they don't really have the equipment to test a diesel just a gas burner so I think I should be strait on that.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Also what are the flush cycle lengths? 1.5 hours per restore and vc9? And about 30 minutes per distilled cycles? Lastly, where can I get fumoto valves for my block drain plugs? It would help speed up the process IMO draining immediately after a flush cycle! I don't want to wait forever inbetween or get burned in the process. I got burned putting in my sending unit for my ect gauge in the block when I thought it was cool enough. WRONG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.