Dropped off my 2004 F250 today! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dropped off my 2004 F250 today!

After having my EGR fail awhile back I started doing research on the 6.0 and that is when I found this forum and wealth of knowledge. Wish I would have found this forum sooner and was aware of the issues with my truck, but I'm thankful of the knowlege I have gained from here. Anyways, I had the EGR deleted and aware of all the issues and fixes for the 6.0, I started buying all the necessary equipment to monitor and eventually bulletproof it. Based on the recommendations here I bought an Edge CTS w/ EGT probe so I could start monitoring my deltas. I also bought/installed a coolant filter, changed front/rear/transfer gear fluids with AMSOIL, and switched coolants to ELC. Additionally, I started buying all the essential upgrades as well: ARP head studs, OEM headgaskets, stand pipes, dummy plugs, oil feed tube, turbo drain tube, fuel pressure spring kit, banjo bolts, 4" turbo back exhaust (CAT delete), and AMSOIL synthetic diesel oil to swap out. My plan was to eventually get the bulletproof done sometime in the future, but plans have changed due to clogged oil cooler. Monitoring my guages, I noticed my EOT skyrocketing into the 220s unloaded and up to 240 pulling my travel trailer. After searching for a reputable diesel shop in the area on the forum, I came across Tri County Motorsports and contacted them about getting my truck bulletproofed and exhaust installed. The guys there were extremely friendly and knowledgable when I talked to them and had no issues with me supplying the parts. Like I stated in the title, I dropped off my truck with them today and now anxiously await getting my truck back.

Edited: Forgot to mention that I also bought a SCT X3 with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel which I will load after getting the truck back.

Last edited by TXfishnhntr; 06-22-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good for you. I hope everything turns out well for you.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If ur getting studs then make sure they send those heads out to be checked, and make sure the block is straight to. And also use only oem gaskets. In regards to ur deltas, how hot was it when ur eot reached to 220? I had mine go to 215 , ect 200 yesterday in 100* weather with ac on blast , went back down to 196 in the city traffic. I've also read eot's going high when towing which is normal. Just make sure ur shop knows what it's doing. We had a member here bulletproof his truck and it was done wrong.

Just got the truck bulletproofed.. Degas bottle puking

Last edited by f350powerstroke; 06-22-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 AM

Good for you, I'm sure you'll have a good piece of mind when you get her back.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=f350powerstroke;3127925]If ur getting studs then make sure they send those heads out to be checked, and make sure the block is straight to. And also use only oem gaskets. In regards to ur deltas, how hot was it when ur eot reached to 220? I had mine go to 215 , ect 200 yesterday in 100* weather with ac on blast , went back down to 196 in the city traffic. I've also read eot's going high when towing which is normal. Just make sure ur shop knows what it's doing. We had a member here bulletproof his truck and it was done wrong.

Yes, they send the heads to a machine shop for inspection/machining. In addition the heads also receive a complete valve job and seals. They are also going to disassemble and clean the turbo, as well as, check and clean the fuel system.

As for my deltas, my EOT would reach 220 everyday driving to/from work (15 mins) no matter what the outside temp was (70s in the morning and 90s in the afternoon). Also, my EOT would reach 240 in that short timeframe as well when picking up/dropping off my travel trailer from the base.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you have started in the right direction. The waiting process is hard but it's well worth it int the end. I look forward to hearing how it is when its done.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

My '04 is deleted and I run 5-7 degrees delta unloaded, my temps, ECT 200, EOT 206 rolling down the interstate. Towing my 8K travel trailer up a 6 mile hideous grade I hit ECT 226, EOT 234, I was told to set my alarms on my Edge CTS ECT 230 EOT 240, the engine starts to defuel when EOT hits 250. But I was pleased to see the delta was holding consistently 8* apart pulling that hill, that to me means my oil cooler is doing it's job.

John
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice your on the right track. I have never needed studs myself and Im at over 180,000 miles...Tuned with a bullydog no less. Im in the mountains of Colorado right now and even hauling @as up here my delta is only 8į witch is nice because I was worried about it being that far but it's always consistent.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Time to update my post. I finally got to pick up my truck today and it was well worth the wait. It took a little longer than what I was told, but that was due to the machine shop being backed up and they had to replace 8 valve guides. Which I had no problems with, because I want it done right the first time. The truck runs and sounds amazing with all the work that I had done, however, I canít wait to load the custom tunes I got from Innovative Diesel. Just to review what I had done:
APR Head Studs
Ford OEM Head Gaskets
New complete top end gaskets and O-Rings
New Oil Cooler
EGR Delete Kit
Updated turbo feed and drain lines
Updated fuel pressure regulator kit
Updated Banjo bolts
Turbo disassembled and cleaned
New Ford High Pressure Oil Stand Pipes and Dummy Plugs
AMSOIL oil and Ford OEM filter
New Thermostat
Check and clean fuel system
Pressure check, valve job, power wash, and resurfacing of cylinder heads, and replaced 8 valve guides
Install 4 inch turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust

I am very impressed with Tri County Motorsports and the work that they have done on my truck. The owner TJ was great to talk with, very knowledgeable about the 6.0L, and stands behind his work. I am very confident in the workmanship that I received and that if something should go wrong he will fix it. So, if there is anybody in the St Louis Metro area looking for a good diesel shop, give TJ a call at Tri County Motorsports.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Glad you got it back! It'll be a new animal from this point on!! You'll love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.