S&B intake review!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
S&B intake review!!

Ok guys so last week I was contacted by a guy who works at s&b and offered me a free cold air intake, oiled Red cleanable filter, dry filter, filter cleaning kit, and Filter wrap for free! I'm not going to lie,I thought it was a scam but I called anyway to see what was going on and waited to hear...I'll just take your credit card number lol. Anyways Ryan just wanted my shipping address and wanted to make sure I would write a review and installation thread on the forums I'm on and he would ship me out all that stuff for free. So anyways was excited and everything showed up today so I installed it. First off I didn't follow the instructions 100% since I've worked on this enough and know easier ways to take everything apart. This thread may be a bit long for most of you but I want to give S&B their money's worth.

Showed up!

Bout to get started

Undo clamps holding on stock air filter housing

I removed all the connections to the degas bottle, maf, and Restriction gauge

Loosen all clamps with either a flat head screwdriver or 8mm socket

start removing parts

Remove breather tube ( watch out where your radiator hose lays while your not in the engine bay...it happens to be a perfect length to just flow right into the open hole...luckily I was almost due for an oil change anyway lol)

Remove factory maf and gauge to put onto new intake

Place The maf, breather tube and gauge on your new intake

use tool provided for the maf screws

Start placing the intake into the engine bay and ensure it fits correctly in the grommets

Getting this to all line up is not exactly easy, takes a lot of maneuvering because the engine bay is so packed as we know.

Having everything line up is very tight, I wish it would have made it easier to remove and install than the oem intake but it's trying to get as much air as possible so I guess that's what happens.

Once it's all in, ensure you double check all the connections, band clamps, and hoses so that you wont have any issues. It looks nice now!

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 06-21-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Initial driving impressions are good, has more of a rumble a
On the lower rpms and better throttle response. You can hear more air being sucked in hen you lean into the throttle but once it's wide open you can't hear it. I only took it for about a ten mile check ride but it's a nice setup and cleans up the look of the engine bay. I'll post more up when I get some more miles on it. Thanks again to S&B!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Freebee's are always good. Congrats on the score. Takes me about 5 minutes to get my intake out.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great write up. The intake is my next investment and am torn between S&B and AFe. This helps a lot, thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S&B seems to be one of the best intakes from all of the reviews that I have read. Thanks for the detailed write up.

Can you post up your intake air temperature difference while cruising?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Will do! The intake on my truck was always more of a pain to get out than my brothers 04, I know they are the same thing but it's probably because his has been taken apart more times than mine.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterko View Post
Can you post up your intake air temperature difference while cruising?
I'd like to know this also, See if you can get IAT1 and IAT2 if you have something that will read IAT2.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If I'm seeing it correctly in your pics, it looks like there is a big hole in the side of the S&B airbox facing towards the battery?
Does anyone know why they do this?
Seems like that would let it suck in hot air from under the hood?
Having never seen one before... I would assume that the front of the S&B airbox has a snorkel just like oem to go into the hole for fresh air from behind the grill.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
If I'm seeing it correctly in your pics, it looks like there is a big hole in the side of the S&B airbox facing towards the battery?
Does anyone know why they do this?
Seems like that would let it suck in hot air from under the hood?
Having never seen one before... I would assume that the front of the S&B airbox has a snorkel just like oem to go into the hole for fresh air from behind the grill.
yes that is a hole in the air box towards the battery. My guess that is for added air flow but the down side is hot engine bay air. I have never tested air numbers so I'm interested in see them and if the hole has a big affect on air temps.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Yeah I just swapped from a dry filter from a different brand to an oil filter, and did the Zoodad mod, and wow, 1.5mpg better on 1st tank running my street tune, and 1mpg on first tank towing with tow tune. At that rate the filter swap will pay for itself in less than the summer.

Nice install great writeup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.