Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Got my truck back today. ?'s

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Six0~Stroker 
#1 ·
Truck was in the shop for a month long head stud job. Shop was backed up and the machine shop was backed up so I had to wait my turn. Heres my question/dilemma I went to a very reputable shop, I assumed he was going to use oem gaskets, he used black onyx. Should I be worried? I heard they're junk. The heads were resurfaced.

Also I had them put my gauges in, The put my egt probe right in the down-pipe.

I had an airdog 2 installed as well. The factory filter housing should be "dead" now. Well I got home and where the old lines connected there was diesel steaming out. I figured it was just leftover from what was inside the old housing but a gallon of fuel later I had to find something to plug it.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Have you contacted the shop to resolve the EGT and AD2 issue?

#5 ·
Sorry Mitch, I have to disagree. I know the shop he went to. They have a very good reputation for all kinds of diesels.

This is why I suggested contacting the shop to find out what/why he had these issue. Two sides to a story.

I don't know why they used the BO gaskets. Yes the BO gaskets have a bad history, but have also heard they can hold up when installed correctly.

IMO, contact the shop. Get things resolved, and see if you can work out a deal on warranty on labor if the BO fail do to incorrect installation.

#10 ·
IMO, contact the shop. Get things resolved, and see if you can work out a deal on warranty on labor if the BO fail do to incorrect installation.
I don't think any shop would own up to incorrect installation especially when its modified. They did take their time with re assembly.

#6 ·
I called today and was told they haven't had any problems with black onyx gaskets. I know for a fact the shop does hundreds of 6.0 stud jobs and is the most reputable in my area. They said they wouldn't use them if they were junk. They fail due to improper installation or bad heads. Don't believe every single thing you read on the forums he said.

On the egt probe, apparently some people like them there? He said there is a 100deg (hotter) difference if the probe is in the down pipe vs. exhaust manifold. They will fix it for free if I want.

They said they will loop or close the filter housing on the frame rail to prevent leaking. There is two open fittings where old lines connected. Only one was leaking. Airdog does not include a plug for any kit they sell once that housing is disconnected.

So thats where I'm at!

#16 · (Edited)
I called today and was told they haven't had any problems with black onyx gaskets. I know for a fact the shop does hundreds of 6.0 stud jobs and is the most reputable in my area. They said they wouldn't use them if they were junk. They fail due to improper installation or bad heads. Don't believe every single thing you read on the forums he said.

On the egt probe, apparently some people like them there? He said there is a 100deg (hotter) difference if the probe is in the down pipe vs. exhaust manifold. They will fix it for free if I want.

They said they will loop or close the filter housing on the frame rail to prevent leaking. There is two open fittings where old lines connected. Only one was leaking. Airdog does not include a plug for any kit they sell once that housing is disconnected.

So thats where I'm at!

I just installed my AD2. There should not be any lines still hooked up to the factory pump, there should be 4 open fittings on the factory pump. The AD2 comes with plenty of hardware to install it correctly. If it is running I will assume that the supply to the AD2/HFCM and the supply to the engine are hooked up correctly. That only leaves the return from the engine and to the tank. The AD2 kit comes with a 3 way connector that takes the return from the AD2, return from the engine, and return to the tank. Sounds to me that that is not hooked up correctly. Just my .02 and FYI.

#9 ·
Aww geez, I knew I was going to get nervous now. He seemed very confident in them so I don't know.

#12 ·
Talk to them, it don't hurt to ask if they can do some kind of limited guarantee, either by mileage, months or both.

Find time to take your truck back and get the EGT located in the exhaust manifold, 100* difference is usually driving normal. When towing or romping, it can spread by 300*. While your their, have him block off the fuel leak.

#13 ·
I have an apt for Monday to relocate the sensor and fix the leak. I will definitely ask him about some sort of warranty. Thanks guys.

#14 ·
The Black Onyx gaskets don't hold as well as OEM, period. The thicknesses and material is different. If you told them to use OEM gaskets, via paperwork, and Black Onyx were installed, they should be the ones to fix that as well. Not as a warranty item, but right now. Consider when those may cut loose on you, it could easily be when you are on a vacation or something, when you won't be able to get the truck back to that shop for any warranty work. If Black Onyx is on the papers, that is on you.

As for the fuel issue, that's bad workmanship on their part.
As for the EGT probe, again where did you tell them to install the probe? The default location for any performance shop should be the manifold, again bad workmanship.

It may lead to issues down the road, depending on how you drive. I'd be a little upset if they had my truck for a month and cut corners like it appears this shop has.

#21 ·
The Black Onyx gaskets don't hold as well as OEM, period. The thicknesses and material is different. If you told them to use OEM gaskets, via paperwork, and Black Onyx were installed, they should be the ones to fix that as well. Not as a warranty item, but right now. Consider when those may cut loose on you, it could easily be when you are on a vacation or something, when you won't be able to get the truck back to that shop for any warranty work. If Black Onyx is on the papers, that is on you.

As for the fuel issue, that's bad workmanship on their part.
As for the EGT probe, again where did you tell them to install the probe? The default location for any performance shop should be the manifold, again bad workmanship.

It may lead to issues down the road, depending on how you drive. I'd be a little upset if they had my truck for a month and cut corners like it appears this shop has.
Werd!

Several reputable shops on many different forums won't touch the BO/VR gaskets. Even with headstuds the things fail. Read about BO/VR failures...then go looking for OEM failures. There is a huge disparity

As for EGT placement...they do alot of work on diesels right? Most people (ie: amateurs) know the EGT goes in the exhaust manifold...because you are worried about frying the turbo. What is the point of measuring post turbo temps? I'd rather know how hot I'm heating the blading...not how hot they potentially were

#15 ·
My fault I didn't specify to use oem gaskets. I thought would have used them. I asked them to instal my gauges while the truck was there, I didn't specify where to put the probe, I thought they would have put it in the right place.

#17 ·
I saw two fittings, facing the front of the truck with nothing on them. One of them leaking fuel after them truck was driven for a little while.

I will get a picture tomm.

#18 ·
There are 2 on the front and 2 on the back. Here is a link to the instructions to install the AD2, read it and it should give you an idea of how it is supposed to be done. That way you will now what you are talking about when you get to the shop.

http://www.pureflowairdog.com/manuals/A5SABF193.pdf

#19 ·
Yes, your right thanks for posting that. Page 12-13 The front bottom one is leaking.

#20 ·
this is why i am so glad that i am mechanically inclined enough to do all of my own work to all of my vehicles.

that way there is no ifs, ands or butts about how work will be done and where items will be located. also truck is never down for more than a weekend.

sorry to hear it man and hope you get it all worked out. good luck.

#22 ·
Airdog and egt probe fixed no charge.

About the black onyx. I have read up on them and yes they have a bad rep. But the shop owner told me they haven't had a single truck come back with blown black onyx out of hundreds they've done. He said he will warranty them for me as he warranties everyone's. He said the problem is that they aren't being installed properly or they heads aren't being machined correctly. He said why would I put them on so many trucks with a warranty if they aren't good gaskets? He said he has seen his trucks running over 50 psi boost blow gaskets, but those truck are an exceptions. He did warn me about running a huge charger and a lot more volume but he didn't give me a "void warranty" statement if I choose to do that. He's standing by his work so I'm happy with that. Trying to talk him into re-doing the gaskets wouldn't be polite at this point.

I know you guys are probably going to say he doesn't know what he's talking about, "he failed", haha very funny but what am I supposed to do at this point? The truck runs great and he said he'd warranty them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.