Coolant Flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Flush

So i changed the coolant in my 6.0 today.....started at 0830, finished at 830. Took 12 friggin hours. I don't envy whoever has/wants to do this. Took 44 gallons of distilled water. Didn't use a ph tester, but water was coming out fairly clear, so I'm sure it was close to 7. Also replaced the thermostat, and plastic pet**** drain valve on the radiator (since i broke the one that was in there) found out that a 6.4, 6.0 & 5.4 all use the same drain valve on radiator. So long story short, I finally got the Cat ELC coolant flowing. If anybody has nay questions, feel free to ask, ill give as much info as i can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Cool! Between chemicals and after gold did you flush with tap water? I got everything super clear with tap water then moved on with distiled for the final water flush.

And yea, that eats up a day! SIMPLE work but just takes time.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Sounds about right man. Seems like a simple enough project but it's just really time consuming. My first two hours was spent trying to find a torx bit (or allen head) big enough for the plug to drain the engine block. Next thing I knew it was past 11:00 and I was still draining and flushing. I think I flushed it like 13 times with plain water before setting forth with the distilled and then finally adding my coolant to the process.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM

I only flushed with distilled. Prob did about 10 flushes give or take. Same thing happened to me with the torx bit. I had to run to autozone to grab one first thing this morning. Oh well! Atleast it's done now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep it's a waste to flush with distilled till you get it clean. Then flush the tap out with distilled. Anyway congrats on getting through it. As said it isn't difficult, just time consuming.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 AM

When I did mine, I went for some nice scenic drives with the kids while letting the chemicals do their work.

Just my opinion, but I don't think that you can really flush with just distilled water. You should really be sticking the hose in there and "flush" the junk out. The radiator and heater cores can hold a lot of debris which needs to come out. Filling and draining will remove some, but you're really not getting the volume to remove the junk. Again, just my opinion it's far easier to remove tap water by using the fill and drain process then removing the contaminates by fill and drain.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Can someone PM me the Torx or Allen size? I have every allen size I can imagine, but not many Torx and wanted to do the full flush with restore etc this summer.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat6183 View Post
Can someone PM me the Torx or Allen size? I have every allen size I can imagine, but not many Torx and wanted to do the full flush with restore etc this summer.

Thanks!
Section 5.2
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Wonderful, thank you for your help. I had read it before but couldn't find it with search. I know, I had to miss it, but thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.