Studding a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Studding a 6.0

I'm wondering when you guys think should be the time to get my engine studded. What point is it required? 500 hp mark? Higher? 100000 miles? I know some will say asap but I'm looking more for when it's required. With my current setup I'm not near 500 hp and plan on doing it eventually.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Straight pipe and an SCT with a custom tune written for non studded trucks put you at about 400hp.

That is the max power you can run without studding... Once you stud it you can put a stronger tune in and start modding injectors, turbo Ect.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

When the head gaskets blow.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
The Silent Service

Personally, I like the dependability that comes with a studded 6.0L. Prior to my HG's and studs, I only ran stock programming.

When should I stud my truck?

That is a question that in reality the owner is the only one who has that answer. A basic tune and exhaust will put around 400HP to the rear wheels, and there are plenty of guys around without studs on that setup. I recommend looking over my Bullet-Proofing thread and come up with a game plan that will work with your build goals and budget. (I wouldn't push performance more than the tune on stock bolts).

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

There are a few ways to handle studs
1) A one for one replacement - Only works if you know your heads and gaskets are good, and done at the same time as an oil cooler rebuild and EGR solution.
2) Cab on/off head removal, when the HGs fail - roll of the dice, ideally with a monitor and you not beating on the truck, you should be able to prevent the HG's from letting loose in the first place. However, waiting for the failure could compound the issue by it being at the worst time (like in the middle of a vacation).
3)Cab on/off head removal, before the HGs fail - good particularly because you set the time that the truck goes down, and take the time to ensure the job is done right. (This is my recommendation, and again rebuild/replace your oil cooler and install your EGR solution.)
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Straight pipe and an SCT with a custom tune written for non studded trucks put you at about 400hp.

That is the max power you can run without studding... Once you stud it you can put a stronger tune in and start modding injectors, turbo Ect.
Guess my truck didnt get that memo
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
And then..........there are exceptions like Dave

j/k
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Colo dually, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Like I said before I'm probably in the 400 range. The guy I bought the truck from already did the exhaust (cat back, the cheap bastard). I added a cold air and h&s mini maxx. It's my dd and I don't romp on it very often. My mini maxx is almost always set to mild. Head studs are in my future when money allows. Just trying to get some input on what everyone else thinks

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.