Factory Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory Oil Cooler

So I am brand new to the Ford 6.0 scene and diesels for that matter. Bought a 2003 F350 CC Dually 4x4. I have read for days on end about these engines and the problems associated with them. So after all my reading and "figuring" I finally have a question. Why would anyone ever put a factory oil cooler back in the truck once the first one was clogged and had to be removed? Here is what I think I read over teh last few days.

The coolant is bad or maybe it is not, either way the coolant clogs the oil cooler causeing the EGR cooler to overheat and fail which causes oil and coolant to mix and dump coolant into the cylinders. At this point the cylinders have too much pressure and the TTY head bolts stretch causeing head gasket failure. Of course this is the condensed version.

So, why not put an aftermarket oil cooler back in if the problem begins with the factory oil cooler and coolant combination? I understand that if thecoolant is changed more often the new cooler may never fail. I also understand that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get all the old coolant and gel/sludge/sand out of the coolant system. Is it a cost issue or does teh majority believe something else is the cause of teh problem to begin with, like the EGR?

Thanks, cool forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For me it was simply cost, so far I am having far better success with ELC coolant, time will tell I suppose.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Because adding a basic aftermarket oil cooler isn't that easy. It isn't just add a cooler and be done with it, you need to maintain oil psi with a large enough air/liquid cooler and integrate a oil filter/housing/hoses large enough to handle any psi drop/spike.

There are aftermarket external oil coolers that are available. The best one is pricy but is well worth it (BPD). The others are cheaper and are questionable on the engineering.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The first answer, I understand. The second is over my head. I knew there was reason though. Thanks for the replys. I ask after reading the Paramedic thread and another on coolant. I noticed that the paramedic put a BPD oil cooler on his truck and he had no experience with any type of mechanic work. Not syaing one is better than the other, just wondering.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is only one company that offers a "upgraded" OEM oil cooler design, but has been shown to make the oil temps run hotter because the coolant passages in the oil cooler flow too fast to keep oil temp down.

So now your only choices are an aftermarket external oil cooler like BPD, or a DIY external oil cooler kit, or keep using the OEM oil cooler.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I understand now. So you either pay $375 for factory and try to keep it clean or $2,000 and still keep it clean. I see why so many stay with factory. I probably will too.

Last edited by seeemmiss; 06-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

With the BPD kit, keeping the coolant clean isn't as important because there is no coolant passages to clog. You eliminate coolant clogging issues.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeemmiss View Post
I understand now. So you either pay $375 for factory and try to keep it clean or $2,000 and still keep it clean. I see why so many stay with factory. I probably will too.
$250 from trousley for a factory cooler
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korx View Post
$250 from trousley for a factory cooler
Thanks for the tip!! BPD had it for $375. That is where I got the price I think. So much to learn on the truck. My goal is to never have to change the cooler. The OASIS report shows head gaskets at 83,000 miles and a turbo at 95,000 so at 132,000 I am hoping I can keep it clean. The last owner kep all fluids changed every year and oil changes every 5,000 miles. Older man and was real good about maintenance.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeemmiss View Post
Thanks for the tip!! BPD had it for $375. That is where I got the price I think. So much to learn on the truck. My goal is to never have to change the cooler. The OASIS report shows head gaskets at 83,000 miles and a turbo at 95,000 so at 132,000 I am hoping I can keep it clean. The last owner kep all fluids changed every year and oil changes every 5,000 miles. Older man and was real good about maintenance.

Wish me luck!!!
You may never have to change out your cooler, this is why a monitor/gauge solution is so important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.