Goin to the strip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Goin to the strip

Im taking my stock 6.0 (besides my new custom exhaust) to the drag strip with a buddy of mine and his duramax. Im shedding the weight off her, spare tire, tailgate, any junk thats un-needed, and the bullbar up front as well. ive got 285/65 nitto mud terrains on it at about 80psi, any tire pressure suggestions? i know that these arent the right tires to race in, but its what i got. My goal is to hopefully get under 16 seconds, any suggestions to help ex: fuel additives? cheaper upgrades? launch tips? anything, i know im not going to be this duramax's times, but all im looking for is under 16, and a couple cummins left in the dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just can't imagine running the strip without a tune lol when i refuse to drive it stock because it's a freaking slug. Fuel additives are not going to play much part in your time. You can do the zoo dad mod to get a little more air flow. A 4x4 boosted launch and to just have fun is all the advice I can give!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM

you can also get a good launch by stalling your torque converter, i've seen too many people mess up there trannies with 4x4 launches, haha is awesome to see though. powerbrake it. foot on gas and other foot on break, give progressively more gas until the tires are just about to break. then dump the brakes and slam the throttle all the way down!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemyego View Post
you can also get a good launch by stalling your torque converter, i've seen too many people mess up there trannies with 4x4 launches, haha is awesome to see though. powerbrake it. foot on gas and other foot on break, give progressively more gas until the tires are just about to break. then dump the brakes and slam the throttle all the way down!
That my friend would be a "Boosted Launch"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, set your tire pressure to somewhere around 30 psi. The optimum pressure will vary with each tire and it will take some time to find the best set up but 30psi is a good starting point. Make sure you manually lock your hubs (even if you have auto hubs) and turn your 4wd on as you roll up to the line. DO NOT just engage it while you are sitting on the line, always let the truck roll aways to make sure everything is fuly engaged.

This is how you do a boosted launch:
1. After you roll up to the line so the pre-stage and stage lights are on, stand on the brake as hard as you can
2. Press the skinny pedal more and more until you feel like the brakes won't hold it any more.
3. Grip the wheel firmly with both hands
4. When the last yellow comes on, drop the brake an stand on the accelerator.
5. Keep your truck pointed straight down the track until you cross the finish line.
6. Check your underpants.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Check your under pants... Haha also don't drag with a heart condition because your adrenaline will be pumping
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Don't forget to take a nap while in your stock tuned truck

Now, install a race tune like SPD.....THEN check your underpants
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

haha all the tunes are coming eventually, right now im more worried about the rust forming on the fenders, and the bigass dent i have in my front bumper from a hit n run i was a vitctim of, so im going harley look up front now, and looking for an 08 short box to drop on back
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Check your under pants... Haha also don't drag with a heart condition because your adrenaline will be pumping
HAHAHA I got a heart condition and raced last Friday
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionxxii View Post
HAHAHA I got a heart condition and raced last Friday
O lord lol. My hearts fine and I can't hardly keep it together from just a little street race much less a strip. I've been a bunch but I've never grew the cojones to race. Maybe one day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.