torque converter or trans? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
torque converter or trans?

I have an 07 6.0 4in turbo back intake blue spring 120 horsepower sct canned tune and im at 84000 miles only been running the tune for about 3000 miles. My truck doesnt seem to lay the power down as it should and if i hit the gas hard enough to break the tires free my trucks yells and screams and the tires spin a bit but nothing insane. i feel the torque converter is slipping or the transmission may slip or something. ocasionally it will shift extremely firm jerking my truck forward if im only giving about half throttle. i have no issues unless im pedal down. i just need to know what piece to replace so i dont waste money and replace both.

whats your input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Describe what you mean by "doesn't seem to lay the power down as it should"?

Are you experiencing excessive turbo lag?

Another culprit could be that stock SCT file, you can't get the most out of that truck without custom files. That 120HP tune, should be putting you just under 400RWHP (estimated), realize thats about were most custom street tunes sit. You'd get better out of a custom Race or Extreme file (names of IDP's tunes) for a studded truck.
(I noticed you are running the Livewire, I'm pretty sure it can be custom programmed, but not sure what would go into that.) I think the transmission tuning is what is holding you up here, which may be as simple as getting custom tunes written first. Due to the expense of these transmissions, and how sensitive they are to proper tuning, I would stay out of the WOT runs on your current file if you are having jerking issues.

If you feel the need to upgrade the transmission after you test out a few custom files, I'd start with the TC itself, as that is the cheaper option, and when you go to a fully built transmission, you'd already have the high performance TC on hand.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

not turbo lag. i mean my truck has full power from the motor and screaming exhaust but minimal tire action maybe a small strip of rubber. from 1 tire... perhaps 6-8 feet.. but it sounds as if i should have over 50 feet. of rubber on the ground. the engine may put out nearly 3800 rps drop to 3300 then manage to climb back to 3800 then calm back down and shift to 2nd ( assuming its shifting to 2nd gear correctly because at this time my speed has risin to where its time for 2nd gear and i have left the power band for gear 1 ).

Last edited by MyTractorsSexy; 06-17-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think you have problems. I think that you think it should be burning out with a generic tune and nothing else which is abusurd. Maybe power braking might help, but nothing is wrong.
You just have good traction, but not as much power as you're guessing.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

i only comment cause i may be at 1000 rpms and when i smash the gas in about 2 seconds im at 3800 rps. for my rpms to climb that fast the tires have to break off the pavement OR the torque converter or the transmission has to be slipping imo
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
i only comment cause i may be at 1000 rpms and when i smash the gas in about 2 seconds im at 3800 rps. for my rpms to climb that fast the tires have to break off the pavement OR the torque converter or the transmission has to be slipping imo
Unless your TC is locked, it does slip. That's normal.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Ok well thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.