Going to look at an '05 tomorrow, questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to look at an '05 tomorrow, questions

I am going to go look at an '05 FX4 6.0 PSD tomorrow at a nearby dealership. I talked to a salesman about the truck and he said it has the banks 6 gun chip in it and has been straight piped. Theres 31,000 miles on it and they're asking $29,995 for it. It also has a dual guade pod on the pillar for boost and a pyrometer.

I am a little worried about the chip and exhaust because that leads me to beleive the previous owner drove the truck pretty hard.

Should I be worried about the reliability of this truck or should I go for it if I like it tomorrow just pull the chip and if anything goes just have it fixed under warranty? Or should I just keep looking?

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Become a premium member, and get an oasis report. That will tell you the repair history of the truck. I dont think i would worry to much about the chip being hard on the truck because banks products really advertise safety, but get it checked out. I'm not sure if the dealership will honor a warranty on this truck because they know it has been modified. Im not sure though but it would be worth looking into. Its almost always better to buy a stock truck however.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would yank the chip out anyway. That way It will start from scratch and Ill know what is done to the truck. I'm going to feel it out and see how it goes when I see it tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Banned

first off, you can get your oasis report for free without having to become a premium member, and you can usually get it within a day. PM if you're interested.

second... i would make sure you get something in writing from someone who can stand behind it, not just a salesman who has no power to authorize anything, but make sure that they will still offer to honor the warranty since they are selling the vehicle on their lot with a tuner already installed... is it a ford dealership you are purchasing it from ??

and yes, if there is a tuner, there is the chance the vehicle was driven hard. check for signs of leaks and check the area around the degas bottle. check for slippage in the transmission or converter.

i find it hard to believe a dealership can legally sell a vehicle with no cat on it... something doesnt smell right here, and the price is not really that cheap enough to make it worth the possibility you're going to be buying someone else's headache..

if there wasn't anything wrong with it, why did the guy trade it in ??? i love my PSD and would never get rid of it unless something serious was wrong. especially a newer one with low miles ! ! ! ! think about, usually if something is too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to pistolpete837
thats a very good deal for that price i would probably go for it
Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is a banks chip he couldnt have ran it too hard
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
ha - I'm with those above - definately check it out, drive it good, and see if you can take it for a day. Get the oasis however you can.

As far as exhaust -- some states do not require CAT's on diesel's, so that is likely a non-issue. But definately, if it spells like a rat, it usually is -- so check it out, maybe even have another diesel mechanic that isn't at the dealership check it out -- then once you get it in writing from the sales manager or dealership owner that they are going to honor the warranty.... I'd say go for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.