Softest suspension? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Softest suspension?

Alright I'm debating keeping the truck and trying to run maybe 18" wheels and all terrains or maybe switching to all terrains on the 20's. I just have way too much $$$ in the truck and i love it so rewlly dont wanna sell it. Now for the suspension I have the standard crappy rough country shocks that came with the lift kit. I do have the progressive rate springs and I'm wondering if bilsteins are all they are cracked up to be or not. The lift actually had a better than stock ride so I'm sure there is more room for improvement but before I go and spend more $$$ on the truck I wanna hear yalls experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Also do you think 18s would ride that much better? I just put brand new tires on and they are expensive as hell lol
Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No the 20's are fine IMO. If you're looking for the best ride the answer is a 4 link with coil overs. Have Trevor built you a 4 link rear with coil overs and you'll be able to make it ride like a Rolls Royce. Short of that converting the rear to 08-10 springs, or the 11-12 monoleaf setup and it'll tame the back end down a lot. The trick with shock is having them match the springs. You have a lot more choice with coil overs where that is concerned.

As for Bilsteins, I love them and run them on everything I own.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yea your truck is sick! I love your suspension. How much are those goin for? I'm looking at a cheaper solution and maybe in a year or two doing something like that if my back issues are getting any worse. I just attempting not to dump another 2-3 k into the truck and then end up selling it for 25k...I would cry lol
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Wish I could say how other lifts ride. I've been running DR/ICON lift for awhile now. Used Fabtech Dirt Logic shocks but they blew out. Went back to the DR shocks. I want to step up to a 4-link up front just need to get the cash together.

To be honest it's a combination of springs, shocks and tire pressure.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck came with fox resivoir shocks on all 4 corners, little stiff on the road but smooth as butter in the dirt

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

What do y'all think about air shocks?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoyle View Post
Yea your truck is sick! I love your suspension. How much are those goin for? I'm looking at a cheaper solution and maybe in a year or two doing something like that if my back issues are getting any worse. I just attempting not to dump another 2-3 k into the truck and then end up selling it for 25k...I would cry lol
Thanks man, I love it. I'm actually thinking about having Trevor build me a 4 link for the rear and going to coil overs. I'm afraid they're going to have to bury me in mine lol. I don't know what Trevor's current pricing is but he builds awesome stuff. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Wish I could say how other lifts ride. I've been running DR/ICON lift for awhile now. Used Fabtech Dirt Logic shocks but they blew out. Went back to the DR shocks. I want to step up to a 4-link up front just need to get the cash together.

To be honest it's a combination of springs, shocks and tire pressure.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowester View Post
My truck came with fox resivoir shocks on all 4 corners, little stiff on the road but smooth as butter in the dirt
And that's part of the equation too. Figuring out where you want your suspension to work best. I don't really tear up the off road with my truck so I am more concerned with my street ride and handling. My Mustang is a bit stiff on the street but at 130 on a road course it's a whole different story.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoyle View Post
What do y'all think about air shocks?
For ride comfort nah. They're made for adjusting ride height when you have a load. Comfort is secondary.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an 04 leaf spring front end, with leveling kit Bilstains are to stiff. The leaf springs are harder to tune I would think, any smoother/better ride shock ideas. Have to change out spring eye bushings, didn't last a year. Have poly one's just haven't had time.

Happy Fathers day to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.