Whats your gas mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Whats your gas mileage?

Hey guys just looking for some input on your 6.0 gas mileage with/without mods. Got my bone stock 05 last week and my mpg average has been horrible with at least 50-60% of my driving being highway im averaging 11.5-12.5 mpg?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock sized tires?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider284 View Post
Hey guys just looking for some input on your 6.0 gas mileage with/without mods. Got my bone stock 05 last week and my mpg average has been horrible with at least 50-60% of my driving being highway im averaging 11.5-12.5 mpg?!?!
Sounds pretty low, last week on a 600 mile trip I averaged 18.7 hand calculated with the truck in my sig (minus the mud terrains, I had the small factory ones on, looked funny but helped with the ride and mpg's lol) That being said, around town I usually average 14 or 15 with my regular 38's on. I attribute alot of that to my sct though, without it who knows what I would be getting
Old 06-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider284 View Post
I bought my 05 last year and was my first. i thought it was a little sluggy. I am mechanically inclined on n/a but diesel is a different story. My first mod was a programer to see what was going on. Found that egt's were slightly high and eot was slightly high. mileage was running around 12-14 on freeway. truck is lifted on 35's, deep down i knew there was something wrong. drove for 3months and got worse over time 7-10 mpg's. took it dealer and the problem was #4 injector was toasted. replaced the whole side since i was in there. and vwahla 18-22 depending if i am behind someone all day long!!!! runs like a champ that was my solution may not be yours, have your injector checked around 100 bucks for scan they will tell you what one and what side
Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well stock I got maybe 13 50/50 driving...really sucked and the lifted it and got about 12.5 on stock tuning. Srl tuning alone got me an average of 2/city 3/ highway once the honeymoon period was over. Currently I'm gettin 14.5 city and around 19hwy running Wildmans race tune. You can get very similar mileage with the looney wild but the Wildman gets better city mileage so I run that
Old 06-16-2012, 03:35 PM
The Silent Service

My truck is an '07 DRW TowBoss with 4.30 gears and stock 245/75R17 tires:

Stock: 10-12.5 city, 13.8-14.6 interstate
IDP Street: 11-13 city, 15-16 interstate
IDP X-Race: 11-13.5 city, 15.2-16.5 interstate

Only mods that factor into the mileage for me, 5" Exhaust (3.5" DP, Cat and Muffler on board) and the SCT tuner - Studded files from IDP. Stock Air Filter.

Next on my list is an efficient MTW turbo, and some FICM tuning.

Biggest effects I find are clean fluids and filters, and driving it to save fuel. However you still need the occasional WOT run to fully cycle the VGT vanes, and clear out the intake manifold and EGR cooler (which I do about twice a week).
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM

If i reset my mpg calculator while on the freeway its about 16-17 for my average 15 mile commute, havent reset it for just around town driving yet but maybe its that bad that it could drop it to an average of 12
Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDye01 View Post
Stock sized tires?
Yes stock tires
Old 06-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That little computer is usually way off, hand calculate it and let us know what ya get
Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Just did the trip home from work 10 miles off-highway and averaged 14....maybe ive been romping on it too much on my take-offs lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.