What temp is overheat on a 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What temp is overheat on a 6.0?

I was towing our 8K Lb Travel Trailer back from Cape Hatteras yesterday, my truck was towing well, maintaining 7-8 degree deltas during the uphill pulls.

When I reached Afton mountain on RT 64 and started pulling that long hard grade I kept the truck running 2500 RPMS, about 25 lbs boost, and a steady 60mph, my temperature kept rising until 226 degrees (oil temp was about 8 degrees hotter) then my Edge Insight CTS sounded an alarm, and the temp began blinking. I believe my cooling fan kicked on because I heard a whine in the engine noise, the ECT went no hotter than 226 and cooled down when I crested the hill. My question is, at what temp should I shut down? The idiot gauge in the dash still indicated in the middle!

I checked my engine later, all was fine, no puking, everything OK. My EGR cooler is long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 AM
The Silent Service

An ECT of 226 is fine, the fan wont come on until 220*, under stock programming.
Defueling won't start until EOT reaches 254*.

Your Insight must have the factory defaults still for alarm set points, you can adjust those to your comfort level. I set my ECT alarm point at 230* and EOT at 245*, before they are actually an issue.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM

So what I'm getting here is EOT, (which is always hotter when warmed up) will back down the engine well before ECT would overheat/boil over (in an engine with good headgaskets)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Subscribed- I like to learn all that I can about safe temps and parameters! I've been wondering this myself!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
So what I'm getting here is EOT, (which is always hotter when warmed up) will back down the engine well before ECT would overheat/boil over (in an engine with good headgaskets)
Not entirely, where as an EOT of 254* will result in defuling, you don't want to push the truck to those levels if it can be avoided. If you have a monitor, you can keep an eye on both, and adjust your driving accordingly. ECT doesn't overheat as much on these trucks, unless you have a clogged cooler, because the t-stat fails open. Overheating on a 6.0L will often cause the whistle from the degas bottle, which could also be a sign of EGR cooler failure.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive gotten my truck hot. The stock dash temp guage is tied to ECT only, it runs up to 3/4 mark at 240 ECT and redline at 248 ECT, those are from observed readings of the temps real time, not the manual or anything. my EOT has been 260 before. You are fine
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM

I Have seen some 240's while towing in the Death valley ,,

but my EOT ECT was in range ,, the newest flash will reduce power on a 6.0 if the delta between the two splits past a predetermined level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.