electrical problems right off the bat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
electrical problems right off the bat

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here while researching used PSDs and figuring out a few things before making a purchase. Love the forum.

Found a beautiful 2005 extended cab with the 6.0, with most of the bulletproofing already done. The previous owner had excellent records of all the work he did at a reputable local shop. Nevertheless, I was meticulous in testing ECT/EOT deltas, signs of degas puking, FICM voltages, blowback etc. I ran a scangauge while test driving it and everything looked great and seemed to be as described by the seller. I drove it for about 15-20 minutes on the test drive and later decided to buy it.

So I am driving it home for the first time and all hell breaks loose.

Over a slight bump while getting onto the freeway I have the glow preheat/ABS/battery dash signals flash, radio turned on and clock reset and then tranny wouldn't shift - barely drivable. Pulled over and shut her down, after cleaning the remains of my lunch from the seat I started it back up no problem and drove for a bit everything seeming fine.

This happened one more time, about 20 minutes later in the trip - however after the flash the engine turned off going around 30mph. Pulled over waited a few minutes and started back up and drove the rest of the way.

Suffice it to say, not exactly excited about my new truck right now. I've been reading some threads on similar issues but just hoping to get some advice where to start investigating. Going to hook it up to my laptop soon to pull codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No codes, did more reading, going to start looking around the FICM/PCM harnesses and under the intake for sloppy removal of chips (yea there was some Edge stuff installed in the past), loose connections, damaged wiring and what not. Seeing as it starts up fine and haven't had it die without actually being on the move, I still think its something shorting.

Also probably need this thread moved to 6.0 problems...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dude...that sucks! Hope you find the problem quickly and it is a easy fix!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check the connections on both batteries and make sure all your fuses/relays are seated properly. If it happens only when you hit a bump. it sounds like it is simply a loose connection somewhere.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_chate View Post
No codes, did more reading, going to start looking around the FICM/PCM harnesses and under the intake for sloppy removal of chips (yea there was some Edge stuff installed in the past), loose connections, damaged wiring and what not. Seeing as it starts up fine and haven't had it die without actually being on the move, I still think its something shorting.

Also probably need this thread moved to 6.0 problems...
Check all the connections are sound and all the harnesses for signs of friction damage from rubbing through somewhere. Also look at all the ground straps and check for signs of wear and tear.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After my first round of checking I found a few things:

- 1 of the batteries doesn't hold charge. 12.1v after sitting for a day, the other one is not as bad (12.3v) but also probably on its way out. they're motorcraft 750s, cant find the year of manufacture on them

- truck has afe stage 2 intake, red wire that goes through the rubber grommet rubbed through insulation, grommet failed and it can intermittently touch the metal shield. This seems to be a common problem, saw other threads about it. Hopefully that's the primary electrical issue. Also took out PCM and cleaned all contacts before I noticed this.

- reduced coolant level in reservoir bottle - truck ran extremely clean no smoke or anything, hoping to god its just a small leak somewhere and not gaskets. truck had studs, gaskets, egr delete, HPOP done less than 20,000km ago. nothing on the ground but I haven't started it up yet since topping up and replacing coolant cap.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Keep us posted, Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.