Transmission Fluid Change? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Fluid Change?

Just curious what you guys recommend on changing the tranny filters and fluid. What does this cost at the dealer? I just hit 103,000 miles... TFT is fine according to comparisons to trucks on here. I'm just wondering if I should even change the fluid and filters? I have had 5 other Ford Trucks that went over 200,000 miles with no fluid or filter change. I still have 2 of them. 93 F-150 and 05 F-150. The 05 still shifts like new, as smooth as glass. The 93 still shifts like it did when I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. I say all of that to make the case for me questioning whether to change the fluid and filters on this truck. Anyway, I appreciate insight and advice! Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav
Just curious what you guys recommend on changing the tranny filters and fluid. What does this cost at the dealer? I just hit 103,000 miles... TFT is fine according to comparisons to trucks on here. I'm just wondering if I should even change the fluid and filters? I have had 5 other Ford Trucks that went over 200,000 miles with no fluid or filter change. I still have 2 of them. 93 F-150 and 05 F-150. The 05 still shifts like new, as smooth as glass. The 93 still shifts like it did when I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. I say all of that to make the case for me questioning whether to change the fluid and filters on this truck. Anyway, I appreciate insight and advice! Thanks y'all!

The service interval for the 5R110 transmission is every 30k miles. I recommend you do it immediately. Take it to the dealer or a transmission shop and have it flushed and refilled with Mercon LV. This really isn't the place to brag about not maintaining your vehicles.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Thank you for your answer, but I'm a little bit confused on the last comment? I was not aware that I was bragging. I thought I had made myself clear, but maybe I didn't. I am a stickler for maintenance on my vehicles. The ONLY reason that I haven't serviced a transmission is because I have been told by multiple transmission experts that very often when a tranny has gone extended periods of time without being serviced, the WORST thing you can do is change the fluid and filter. Since I purchase my trucks used (MUCH more cost effective) I am never sure of the tranny service history, so I don't take a chance. That's why I haven't serviced them. Other than that, I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone who takes more care in maintaining vehicles. So if I came across as bragging, that was not my intention. Thank you for your advice on this AND all of your advice in the past, but I could have done without the little remark at the end.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
the WORST thing you can do is change the fluid and filter.
Ya I have heard "I changed my fluid and then the trans blew " but I still wouldn't not change it for that reason

first thing I did when I bought my truck was change all the fluids except the trans since it was at 22k and was expensive .. but I did read all the specs so I knew I was going to do the pan drop/filter/8qts at 30k then at 45k for fun and then at 60/k and then a did the heated flush at 75k
these are solenoid shifted transmissions and won't tolerate fluid issues

it's a good time to swap in a later model pan and in pan filter ,, vs our in pan screen and remote filter that isn't 100% filtering

also the later models with the in pan filter and LV fluid have a service interval of 60k vs our 30k

Last edited by ZMANN; 06-16-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Check out my link for changing the trans fluid
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have found a lot of dealers don't like to flush ya when truck has over 100k. I had mine flushed when she hit 40k. Since then (about 30k more miles) I JUST changed it. Didn't follow the full drain protocol. Just took the plug out and got like 7qts out. Put 7 in. then changed the line filter. Fluid looked good, smelled good. Since my 7qt change, my shift flair actually went away!

I need to do my dads 03 like TODAY - 160,000 + stock fluid, truck always loaded. (not bragging, disgusted)....
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM

I had a hot flush done when i bought mine and just had the fluid/filter done today with LV at 30k miles. Will be doing the simple drop pan/top and new filter off at 15k from here on out. Since i tow 5 days a week.

Jason
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm going to contact my dealer on monday and see what they think. I now have a pretty good relationship with them (I think) and I'll talk it over with them. Thanks for the input y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.