Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transmission Fluid Change?

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Country Mav 
#1 ·
Just curious what you guys recommend on changing the tranny filters and fluid. What does this cost at the dealer? I just hit 103,000 miles... TFT is fine according to comparisons to trucks on here. I'm just wondering if I should even change the fluid and filters? I have had 5 other Ford Trucks that went over 200,000 miles with no fluid or filter change. I still have 2 of them. 93 F-150 and 05 F-150. The 05 still shifts like new, as smooth as glass. The 93 still shifts like it did when I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. I say all of that to make the case for me questioning whether to change the fluid and filters on this truck. Anyway, I appreciate insight and advice! Thanks y'all!

#2 ·
Country Mav said:
Just curious what you guys recommend on changing the tranny filters and fluid. What does this cost at the dealer? I just hit 103,000 miles... TFT is fine according to comparisons to trucks on here. I'm just wondering if I should even change the fluid and filters? I have had 5 other Ford Trucks that went over 200,000 miles with no fluid or filter change. I still have 2 of them. 93 F-150 and 05 F-150. The 05 still shifts like new, as smooth as glass. The 93 still shifts like it did when I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. I say all of that to make the case for me questioning whether to change the fluid and filters on this truck. Anyway, I appreciate insight and advice! Thanks y'all!

The service interval for the 5R110 transmission is every 30k miles. I recommend you do it immediately. Take it to the dealer or a transmission shop and have it flushed and refilled with Mercon LV. This really isn't the place to brag about not maintaining your vehicles.

#3 ·
Thank you for your answer, but I'm a little bit confused on the last comment? I was not aware that I was bragging. I thought I had made myself clear, but maybe I didn't. I am a stickler for maintenance on my vehicles. The ONLY reason that I haven't serviced a transmission is because I have been told by multiple transmission experts that very often when a tranny has gone extended periods of time without being serviced, the WORST thing you can do is change the fluid and filter. Since I purchase my trucks used (MUCH more cost effective) I am never sure of the tranny service history, so I don't take a chance. That's why I haven't serviced them. Other than that, I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone who takes more care in maintaining vehicles. So if I came across as bragging, that was not my intention. Thank you for your advice on this AND all of your advice in the past, but I could have done without the little remark at the end. ;)

#4 · (Edited)
the WORST thing you can do is change the fluid and filter.
Ya I have heard "I changed my fluid and then the trans blew " but I still wouldn't not change it for that reason

first thing I did when I bought my truck was change all the fluids except the trans since it was at 22k and was expensive .. but I did read all the specs so I knew I was going to do the pan drop/filter/8qts at 30k then at 45k for fun and then at 60/k and then a did the heated flush at 75k
these are solenoid shifted transmissions and won't tolerate fluid issues

it's a good time to swap in a later model pan and in pan filter ,, vs our in pan screen and remote filter that isn't 100% filtering

also the later models with the in pan filter and LV fluid have a service interval of 60k vs our 30k

#6 ·
:thumb: Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

#7 ·
I have found a lot of dealers don't like to flush ya when truck has over 100k. I had mine flushed when she hit 40k. Since then (about 30k more miles) I JUST changed it. Didn't follow the full drain protocol. Just took the plug out and got like 7qts out. Put 7 in. then changed the line filter. Fluid looked good, smelled good. Since my 7qt change, my shift flair actually went away!

I need to do my dads 03 like TODAY - 160,000 + stock fluid, truck always loaded. (not bragging, disgusted)....

#9 ·
I'm going to contact my dealer on monday and see what they think. I now have a pretty good relationship with them (I think) and I'll talk it over with them. Thanks for the input y'all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.