Worse millage after egr delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Worse millage after egr delete

So before I did the egr delete and new cooler my delta was usually around 40-50* differnces and I was somtimes getting 22.5 mpgs on the edge Insight I don't know how accurate those are but anyway did the delete and new oil cooler and I'm getting around 16-18 depending on how I'm driving it. I'm not complaining with the millage just wondering why it would change so much with an egr delete? Also put new fuel filters in too at the same time and upgraded blue spring

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I explained it here. We were really talking about increased EGT's with the EGR delete, but the answer is the same reason for the lower fuel mileage. You can't really go by what your monitor say's your mileage is and I highly doubt you lost 4-5 mpg.

EGR Delete Question??
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How do those mileage calc's work anyways? Do they look at fuel tank drop vs tire revolutions or look at fuel being commanded to the injectors for hours ran or something else? I always wondered.

To the op, with a 40-50* delta, you had one very well built egr cooler assuming it didn't bust and that was the reason for the delete.

It will take a tad longer for the engine to warm up since the exhaust gas is gone and the 6.0 isn't very fuel friendly when cold. That may be some of what you are seeing as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Yes I was scared to drive the thing with a delta that bad but it never rupture, I heard the 03 and 04 egr coolers are stronger than the newer ones. Now my delta stays right around 12*. is that common to lose mpg after an egr delete?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Actually at one point I had eot at 245 and ect at 185, 60*! Delta and I have a picture of my insight at those temps I think, and still never ruptured

Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
How do those mileage calc's work anyways? Do they look at fuel tank drop vs tire revolutions or look at fuel being commanded to the injectors for hours ran or something else? I always wondered.

To the op, with a 40-50* delta, you had one very well built egr cooler assuming it didn't bust and that was the reason for the delete.

It will take a tad longer for the engine to warm up since the exhaust gas is gone and the 6.0 isn't very fuel friendly when cold. That may be some of what you are seeing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokesmoke96 View Post
Yes I was scared to drive the thing with a delta that bad but it never rupture, I heard the 03 and 04 egr coolers are stronger than the newer ones. Now my delta stays right around 12*. is that common to lose mpg after an egr delete?

The reason is that he has an 03 and they almost never loose an EGR cooler. They are built more like the BPD cooler. The later design they changed to is a better heat exchanger but a weaker design.

And as my other post explained anybody deleting the egr system whill loose fuel mileage and see elevated EGT's. It's simple physics.

kdogg I don't know how exactly they calculate fuel mileage but I've seen them be really close and wildly inaccurate. When I put the PHP FICM on my lie-o-meter went down by 5 mpg or so in spite of the fact I actually picked up a couple mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.