Engine Swap... How hard is it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Swap... How hard is it?

Alright guys. Starting a new thread. Hopefully I can get a few of you to chime in with some good answers and help a rookie out on this project. I got a way to get the cab off of the frame. After watching several youtube vids and some reading I now feel comfortable about taking the cab off with little worries. The next question is how hard is it to get the 6.0 out of the frame and what do I need to look out for. I have a rebuilt 6.0 lined up as soon as I have the coins but I want to sand down the frame and some other goodies while I have the cab off the frame.

In general what tips and tricks do you all suggest before I start on this adventure. I'm sure a few of you have already been here so any advice you could offer would be awesome. PS I will be posting pics to this thread if anyone wants to follow along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Once you start it will be a breeze

I have done TWO engine swaps (never done it before) without taking the cab off. All I did was take the front end apart and pull the engine AND tranny together forward!

Don't remember anything "hard" to deal with and if you will have the cab off it will be Sooo much easier as you will not need to take apart the top of the engine (turbo, ect, ect.)

I would just pull the cab and you will be able to see EVERYTHING and it will be alot easier then you think
Old 06-14-2012, 03:41 PM

I hope so... I have never done anything like this before. I have worked on tractors before but not anything this complicated (or at least I think it will be.) The turbo, pipes, EGR, oil cooler, etc... will have to be transfered over once the new motor goes in anyway. Actually I am planning on a new oil cooler and I might just go ahead and get the BPD EGR cooler and a new EGR valve. Also going to get the radiator flushed, steamed, and pressure tested and then put in ELC for the new motor
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Like I said, I have NEVER even touched a diesel before buying my 6.0... The first month of having it I did two FULL engine/tranny swaps... Now I am confident that it can be done by a novice
If I could do it, ANYONE can do it
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why did you have to do two of them in the first two months? I was well versed of the ills of the 6.0 before I bought it but man I never thought I would have to be dealing with a thrown rod and engine swap. The worst I thought I would ever have to deal with is a EGR delete and a new oil cooler.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM

And you know what, since I got to take everything off of the top of the motor anyway now I'm wondering if just taking the front of the truck apart would be the right way to go... hmmmm.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why did you have to do two of them in the first two months? I was well versed of the ills of the 6.0 before I bought it but man I never thought I would have to be dealing with a thrown rod and engine swap. The worst I thought I would ever have to deal with is a EGR delete and a new oil cooler.
When I bought my truck it had a Crank/No start problem so stupid me not researching anything I bought another engine/tranny to put into my truck... I got a good deal but I had to take it out of his truck myself. So I did.
Then I had to take the engine/tranny out of my truck and install the new one into my truck...

ALL THIS WORK, and i could have just researched and studded my truck with new H.G. and maybe changed the HPOP and I would have been on the road.

Well, atleast I got alot of engine swap experience now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
And you know what, since I got to take everything off of the top of the motor anyway now I'm wondering if just taking the front of the truck apart would be the right way to go... hmmmm.

It is not as hard as people make it seem... for the "do it yourselfer" that is what I would recommend
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

I just finished a new radiator and BPD EGR cooler. And serpentine belt. It started and idles O.K., but a fierce turbo leak in the rear. Lettin' it cool down a bit before I climb up and try to tighten the clamp.
On my road test it was shifting and accelerating with great difficulty. Made about 25 lbs. of boost up a slight incline. turning onto my street, it barely made it up the rise and into my driveway. BIG lack of power. Reached into the plumbing and the turbo spins freely with no noticable endplay. Shade Tree mechanic (that i was stuck with) thinks low trannie fluid. Thoughts?
My apologies for this, I don't mean to hijack this thread. After blowing white smoke, I feared an engine swap, too!
Jon
Old 06-14-2012, 04:40 PM

You sure its the turbo? Might be head gaskets. A turbo leak would def cause a lack of power.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

No, I'm not sure it's the turbo...I was under the impression the power came from the 'front', and the noticable leak is from the Y pipe in the rear.
If head gaskets, I'm out of business. They were done 56,000 miles ago and cost me plenty. Can't do that again!
Hope all is better with your project!
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.