EOT Temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT Temp

I just bought a 06 and i took it to my diesel mechanic to run diagnostics and the EOT was reading 250 is that to high for stock. I know the defuel is at 253. IM thinking that the oil cooler needs to be replaced? wanna make sure before i spend the money thanks. Ford said the original one was replaced in 2009 under warranty, truck now has 123,000. No towing was done with this truck all highway miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Sounds pretty high! DO you have a monitor like an insight or scangauge to see what the coolant temp (ECT) is in relation to that?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, that's way too high and I'm willing to bet the oil cooler is clogged again. I'll even take a guess at your ECT: 205ish?

What was the reason for taking it to the diesel mech?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was going to buy the new superchips vivid with the screen to monitor i just took it to mech to scan it and make sure everything was operating good. He has the OE ford scanner. I was looking at aftermarket oil coolers and they are real high. Would I be ok if i just go back with the OE oil cooler and delete the egr and install a coolant filtration systm.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Your plan sounds good but I would also try a flush but with a cooler that plugged the flush won't work as well as it should. Then I would switch to ELC coolant w/ a filter and you should be pretty good.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've looked at the aftermarket coolers also, and they're too rich for my blood. OEM should be okay as long as you flush your coolant well, install a coolant filter, drive for a few weeks (may want to change filters at least once during this time), and then flush again right before you replace the oil cooler.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

You may want to check out some of the threads on switching to an ELC coolant at the same time. Usually it is recommended to flush and make the switch ahead of time, but if the oil cooler is plugged that badly, you might not want to wait. If the EGR blows you could be looking at head gaskets.

Any white smoke out the tailpipe?

Also, it's generally accepted around here that SCT tuners are the way to go on the 6.0L
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no smoke out of tailpipe. just saw 250 EOT on the scanner. I have an 2005 also and i went with the Superchips flashpaq and i love it. good temps everywhere. Never gets hot. So coolant filter first and flush it a couple of times then oil cooler later?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck07 View Post
... I was looking at aftermarket oil coolers and they are real high. Would I be ok if i just go back with the OE oil cooler and delete the egr and install a coolant filtration systm.
One of the biggest misconceptions in the 6.0L world is that the Bullet Proof engine oil cooler "...its way expensive for an oil cooler".

While to be fair, it is not a cheap item. I understand that. However, to be completely fair, it is a lot more than just an oil cooler too.

Why do I say that?

I say that because the Bullet Proof Engine Oil Cooler does more than just cool the engine oil well. It also filters the oil well and prevents at least two well known weak points with the stock oil filtration system (the drain valve and the bypass valve). It upgrades and fixes the problem with the oval stock HPOP filter screen that likes to rip and tear (yes, even the newer style that has a steel mesh - those tear too). Just these improvements alone help to prevent damage to your HPOP. Or should I call it your $700+ HPOP?

What else does the BPD Oil Cooler system do? It also saves you from some major expense if/when the stock oil cooler ruptures internally and then fills your entire cooling system with oil. I have seen stock oil coolers do this in as few as 10k miles with coolant filters, with ELC coolant.

The bottom line is this - if you can't afford the BPD system, there is no harm in that. Just make sure that you understand that it is not "just an oil cooler" - its an oil cooler AND an insurance policy against hot, thin engine oil related component failures.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What's a good flush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.