6.0 or 6.4, first diesel. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 6.4, first diesel.

Hey everyone, I know this question has been asked a hundred times and probably looks bad that this is my first post so I'll try and keep this a little more specific.

I'm looking at getting my first diesel and it's between two different ones right now.

An 08 XL CCLB 46k miles with vinyl floor and vinyl seats. VERY Basic work truck, I really don't like the inside at all. Manual locks/windows etc.

A 2007 CCSB King Ranch. 108k miles This thing is really nice inside with the saddle leather and everything.

I don't plan on keeping the trucks stock. I want to intake/tune/turbo back either. I read about the problems with the 6.0's and I think the only real main one is having to replace the head studs. I'm guessing I will still have to do this to run a hot tune on it even in '07? I'm not really sure what they changed for 2007.

I was really dead set on the 6.4 motor, but after seeing and sitting in that 07 I really like it better and I want to like the 6.0. I read the sticky about serious modifications for the 6.0 and being in the 400's wheel HP. And I've seen a dyno of a 6.4 with just turbo back/tune/CAI making 560whp.

What's your guys opinions? I won't be towing much more than my other SUV and putting my bike in the bed. It's gonna be my fun truck/DD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would NOT be getting that 6.4... If you really like the power of the 6.4 engine, wait for a better deal... Other then that I would be driving that fully loaded 07 home today if I was you
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

for me it comes down to emmissions restrictions, do you want to deal with a DPF and regens or not? the 6.0's issues are well known and documented so you know what to expect. and if you dont want to deal with all the emmissions stuff the 6.0 is the way to go, and there are some good deals to be had. the 6.4's have advantages too though, so its up to you.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
The Silent Service

Its you first diesel truck, if you want to be able to work on it yourself, take the 6.0L. For the cost of trucks, minor modifications required to make it reliable and effiecient, you will have less invested overall in the 6.0L.

If you are in an area that requires all emissions control equipment on board, or not comfortable with emissions deletions, take the 6.0L. The DPF system sucks the longevity and mileage out of the 6.4L.

Pick the interior / exterior which you like better, for me I prefer the '05-'07 trucks more than any other Superduty out there.

The only thing an owner needs to have on the 6.0L, is a monitor package (Edge Insight CS/CTS), everything else can be handled as the need arises. (I can point you in the right direction, if you so desire).

The 6.4L owner is going to need a DPF deletion, and tuner to prevent a CEL, in order to get any form of good fuel economy out of the 6.4L, particularly in short distance commutes. Second the 6.4L nearly takes a diagnostic computer, or a lot of experience, to effectively troubleshoot issues with the motor.

Pick the powerplant that fits your needs, budget, and goals.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

6.0 FTW!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

I'm going to have to throw another vote for the 6.0! I absolutely love mine. Here's my reasons:
1. The 6.4 you mentioned is a plain jane work truck, and there is nothing the fully loaded king ranch 6.0 is waaaayyyy nicer. Thats going to make you hold your head up and be proud about owning it and especially whenever anyone rides with you and comments on how nice your truck is.
2. Everything for a 6.4 is EXPENSIVE. Yes they can make alot of power real easy, but getting them to hold that power is going to require deletes and studs just like the 6.0 except these deletes cost more on a 6.4. And I've seen my fair share of 6.4 problems to firmly believe they are no more reliable than a 6.0.
3. Even tho they may dyno 560rwhp, doesn't exactly mean that a 6.0 won't run with them. I say this because my truck dyno'd 460hp/911lb-tq and it runs the same times on the race track as my buddies 6.4 with the Spartan tune, intake, exhaust which is suppose to be the 560-580rwhp combo. Both our trucks are CCSB leveled on 35's. It doesn't get anymore apples to apples comparison than that.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I throw my vote for the 6.0 too for all the reasons stated above. I still think the 05-07 Super Duty is the best looking truck Ford ever made. I'm never getting rid of mine.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
I'm going to have to throw another vote for the 6.0! I absolutely love mine. Here's my reasons:
1. The 6.4 you mentioned is a plain jane work truck, and there is nothing the fully loaded king ranch 6.0 is waaaayyyy nicer. Thats going to make you hold your head up and be proud about owning it and especially whenever anyone rides with you and comments on how nice your truck is.
2. Everything for a 6.4 is EXPENSIVE. Yes they can make alot of power real easy, but getting them to hold that power is going to require deletes and studs just like the 6.0 except these deletes cost more on a 6.4. And I've seen my fair share of 6.4 problems to firmly believe they are no more reliable than a 6.0.
3. Even tho they may dyno 560rwhp, doesn't exactly mean that a 6.0 won't run with them. I say this because my truck dyno'd 460hp/911lb-tq and it runs the same times on the race track as my buddies 6.4 with the Spartan tune, intake, exhaust which is suppose to be the 560-580rwhp combo. Both our trucks are CCSB leveled on 35's. It doesn't get anymore apples to apples comparison than that.
Awesome, that pretty much put me over the edge for the 6.0. Hopefully EGR delete, new oil cooler, coolant/oil/filter change and then tune/exhuast/intake and I should have a solid performing truck!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just remember to be on time with maintenance, going too long will come back and bite you. Other than that, have fun.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

I agree with everyone else, and will add (since you mentioned) that head studs does not need to be anywhere near the top of your list of mods. They are an excellent addition if you NEED them and/or have the engine torn apart for other reasons, but if your oil cooler, EGR cooler and cooling system are in good shape you will not NEED studs unless you plan to make significant mods & power.

I would also recommend if you are definitely planning on getting either a 6.0 (or a 6.4 because they have all of the same issues and more) go ahead and buy a Scan Gage or an Edge Insight so you can plug it in while you are test driving trucks. That will give you a much better idea of what your getting for your hard earned $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.