Mike's Mod Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mike's Mod Thread

Well it has been 4 weeks since my accident and I’m finally in my new pride and joy!!!

For those of you who don’t know what happened I was involved in a rollover crash with my old truck. Click the link below for pictures of the carnage…

Crashed The Truck

Insurance paid out quickly (GO ALLSTATE!!) and I was extremely lucky to find another truck only 5 miles from my house, and its one hell of a truck to say the least, and defiantly much better than what I had before. It may be a year older and have 30K more miles but for the price and condition that this truck is in I couldn’t pass it up. I honestly would have sold my old truck for this one in a heartbeat. It has almost everything I could ask for and all for $24,000 out the door!

Here are the specifications and a ton of pictures, also check out my new signature at the end, pretty cool if you ask me!

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed FX4
Dark Shadow Grey / Grey Leather Interior and Wood Grain Dash
18” X 10” Weld Racing Polished Aluminum Wheels
325/65R18 Falken A/T Tires (4K Miles Old)
6" SkyJacker Lift Kit, ProComp Nitrogen Shocks, Dual Steering Stabilizer
Airaid Intake
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust with Stainless Tip
2008 Tailgate with Step
Chrome Billet Grill
Line-X Spray-On Bedliner
Alpine Door Speakers

In 2009 Ford upgraded the motor with ARP Headstuds, new EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler, Turbo Drain Tube and STC Fittings and fresh ELC coolant. The truck has always had Synthetic oil changed every 5k miles and fuel filters changed every 10k miles. Only used Motorcraft filters.

Upgrades done at 85k miles include: New oil rail plugs to maintain proper oil pressure, new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter drain plug, new glow plugs, new Motorcraft batteries, new brakes, new A/C control head, new sway bar bushings, new Ford, F-250 and Powerstroke emblems all the way around.

Still Waiting For the "Gone Looney" Sticker From Vivian

I couldn’t have asked for much more

I plan on adding a bunch more to this truck including a ton of stuff I took off my old truck and I will post everything on this thread as I go. Keep in mind I’m on a college budget so mods will start with what I have on hand and eventually go up to the bigger stuff. Also keep in mind that I’m leaving for college in 2 weeks and will be 5 hours away from home with no garage and limited tools so major modifications will have to wait for breaks from school.

The first things I will be doing include things I was able to remove from my old truck including Subwoofer, Amplifier, and some LED lights. I also got a Retro Solutions 8K Hi/Lo HID Kit. I also contacted Vivian for a new tune from the truck; I’m thinking Looney Wild and also the Track Version of the tune to run when I’m feeling the Need For Speed! I also contacted Tony Wildman and Chris B. at TSD about getting their tunes to try out but Tony haven’t gotten back to me and Chris is in the process of moving so they aren’t doing email tuning until July when they get into their new building.

After all that will be Zoodad Mod, and CCV Mod, as well as deleting the catalytic converter. The truck has a 4” MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust but the CAT was kept in for whatever reason (no emissions checks in Florida)

When I come back home for a 2 week break before the Fall semester I will be doing a DiCad Solutions EGR Delete, and cleaning the intake and turbo.

I’m sorry this post was so long but I am REALLY excited about this

I want to say one last thing and that is THANK YOU to all the ORG members who have been helping me day and night through my problems here and there and who have supported me through this journey, I couldn’t have done any of this without you guys!

Last edited by mazsecond; 06-14-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM

I do have a few questions for you guys already. First off, I noticed the truck has green coolant, is this some sort of ELC? I thought most ELCs were red At least its not the Ford Gold crap. Any thoughts on this? Deltas checked out good while cruising at 65mph, only a few degrees difference.

I also noticed these holes cut in the headlight housing on both sides. Any ideas what this was for? Should I do anything about it?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First step: Slide those dam tow mirrors in! Your not driving a CumminGs!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice find on the new truck. I had the same truck with the same wheels but it was a supercab. I like the International badges.I doubt the green coolant is any kind of ELC, probably just the regular easy to find stuff. The holes in the headlights are most likely from a strobe kit that has been removed. If so there are probably holes in the taillights also. I've see alot of trucks that just leaves the holes open but if you do decide to plug or cover it, make sure the material you use won't melt from the head light heat. Good luck with the new build, I'll be keeping up with it.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
I do have a few questions for you guys already. First off, I noticed the truck has green coolant, is this some sort of ELC? I thought most ELCs were red At least its not the Ford Gold crap. Any thoughts on this? Deltas checked out good while cruising at 65mph, only a few degrees difference.

I also noticed these holes cut in the headlight housing on both sides. Any ideas what this was for? Should I do anything about it?

This was more than likely for strobe lights. I would seal them up unless you want fluid / condensation in there.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM

Didn't even think of strobes, thats probably what they were, I'll have to check the tails also. Since you guys don't think the green coolant is ELC should I do a flush and switch to a CAT EC-1 ELC? I don't want to risk clogging the Oil Cooler but with the coolant filter on their I would think my cooling system would be pretty clean, no? Maybe just a distilled water flush with no chemicals to break up any deposits that may clog the cooler? Or just leave it for now?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great looking truck

Holes= strobes... either put some strobes back in or plug!
Green coolant= Not ELC (What I had when I flushed with chemicals and clogged my oil cooler
Later I found out that with some additive to the coolant you can run Green for a while... It is just not effective enough for hot diesel engines by itself and doesn't have one of the properties that ELC coolant has... if I would have known that all I needed was an additive to my green coolant I would still be driving around on my OEM oil cooler
Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM

How would I know if I don't already have the additive in the coolant? Is it a Ford additive? I know ford did all the major work on this truck (its a reputable dealer with a good diesel tech) and I'm sure if they chose to put this coolant in they would know to put the additive in? Any way I can test for it with a strip or something?

I'm still leaning toward a good distilled water flush and switching to CAT EC-1 ELC but I don't want to screw anything up

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
How would I know if I don't already have the additive in the coolant? Is it a Ford additive? I know ford did all the major work on this truck (its a reputable dealer with a good diesel tech) and I'm sure if they chose to put this coolant in they would know to put the additive in? Any way I can test for it with a strip or something?

I'm still leaning toward a good distilled water flush and switching to CAT EC-1 ELC but I don't want to screw anything up

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
here is one i was planning on getting. i think its what we need
Fleetguard CC2602A Fleetguard 3-Way Coolant Test Strips at DieselManor
Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sweet tuck! by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.