6.0 or 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 6.4?

Hey guys, Im always considering a newer truck. Im a happy owner of a 00 7.3 Crew Cab, and Im thinking of making an "upgrade". But I want to make sure its an upgrade.

Do you guys think (if affordable), I am better off jumping from a 7.3 into a 6.4 truck? Or would I be destined for just as many concerns and bulletproofing issues as a 6.0? I have driven both and love both. Obviously coming from a 7.3 truck, the acceleration and response is awesome.

I just want some true opinions on a 6.0 vs a 6.4.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How deep are your pockets (for either truck)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
The Silent Service

I posted in your other thread on the 6.4L Forum, but I can get into more details here.

Depends on what you are expecting out of the 6.4L, if you are in an area where you are comfortable deleting the EGR and DPF systems, the 6.4L has been a strong performer. I don't have mileage numbers for these trucks. Realize that even if your state allows the removal of the DPF, if you drive much cross country it may cause a headache if you are stopped and checked for it.

If you intend to retain emission control equipment, or you are a guy who prefers to work on your truck yourself, the 6.0L is the better option. Just know what you are getting yourself into, the aftermarket has answered every shortfall of the 6.0L. I feel the 6.0L is an easier to work on truck, with fewer electronic sensors than the 6.4L. You almost need a diagnostic computer to work on the newer motor.

I think when you look at the cost of an '05-'07 truck verus an '08+ 6.4L, combined with the simple reliability mods - you'll have less invested going with the 6.0L. The only thing you need for a 6.0L to keep things in check is a monitor, like the Edge Insight CS/CTS - everything else can be corrected as the need arises.

Where as the 6.4L - requires a monitor/tuner and that DPF system removed to really be reliable and fuel efficient - particularly for the short distance commuter.

As for your 7.3L, there will never be a truck more reliable, and owner/mechanic friendly than that motor in a Ford.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
I posted in your other thread on the 6.4L Forum, but I can get into more details here.

Depends on what you are expecting out of the 6.4L, if you are in an area where you are comfortable deleting the EGR and DPF systems, the 6.4L has been a strong performer. I don't have mileage numbers for these trucks. Realize that even if your state allows the removal of the DPF, if you drive much cross country it may cause a headache if you are stopped and checked for it.

If you intend to retain emission control equipment, or you are a guy who prefers to work on your truck yourself, the 6.0L is the better option. Just know what you are getting yourself into, the aftermarket has answered every shortfall of the 6.0L. I feel the 6.0L is an easier to work on truck, with fewer electronic sensors than the 6.4L. You almost need a diagnostic computer to work on the newer motor.

I think when you look at the cost of an '05-'07 truck verus an '08+ 6.4L, combined with the simple reliability mods - you'll have less invested going with the 6.0L. The only thing you need for a 6.0L to keep things in check is a monitor, like the Edge Insight CS/CTS - everything else can be corrected as the need arises.

Where as the 6.4L - requires a monitor/tuner and that DPF system removed to really be reliable and fuel efficient - particularly for the short distance commuter.

As for your 7.3L, there will never be a truck more reliable, and owner/mechanic friendly than that motor in a Ford.

Everyone says that, "6ohs will need studs, HG, oil cooler, EGR delete, on and on and on.. But IMO if you do your research and CHECK the truck before you buy it you can have one heck of a truck for ALOT cheaper then a 6.4

Just gotta be informed BEFORE buying the truck, and like Ben is saying all you really NEED is a monitoring solution..
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM

I've owned all three plus some dodge/cummins, if I were you I'd buy the 6.4. I respect and agree with most of what colo_dually has said, but everyday I miss my 6.4 in its self the truck is just all around better not that my 2007 crap I love my truck just my opinion that the 6.4 is an all around better truck. Plus you can have one of the fastest trucks on the road.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
6.0 needs to be in good running order and have healty coolers. Most think you need studed but quite frankly the studs just do a better job on holding your heads down MAYBE if you steam clean your cyliner(s). Oil cooler clogs, coolant then hits super hot EGR cooler, boom steamcleaned lifiting heads.

Now sure, you go big turbo new injectors studs are great. I did mine just because I didnt understand why these motors fail if/when they do.

I have had a 7.3, have a 6.0 and drove many 6.4s and on. They each have their own little great points. I have had my 06 6.0 for 3+ years, dont plan on changing. Even after my friends are all buying 6.7s.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.