Sinister delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister delete

Hey everyone. im a rig welder and I'm new to the 6.0 world. I was a cummins guy but sold my 2wd Duelly cause I needed the 4x4. So I got a good deal on a 03 lariat drw with 140k on it. I know it's got the sinister delete, air raid, bdp trams pan, and mbpr exhaust. But I guess it still has the cat and resonator. Should I delete? Not sure about the oil cooler just yet. I really want to get my mpgs way up. I'm all hwy miles for the most part but I want the power when I need it for hauling horses and travel trailers when needed. I'm wanting a cts but I wanna work my way to that. Any and all helpful info is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
The Silent Service

Howdy and welcome to the ORG.

As a fellow 6.0L owner, the biggest thing I recommend is folks get a monitor in their trucks as soon as possible. That really is the only thing I feel is a required modification from factory, everything else can be done on an as required basis. I use an Edge Insight CS, about $100 less than the CTS with the only feature I can't have is the back up cammera.

Find out if the truck has ever been tuned, some times its ok, and some tuning will tear up the transmission. I can give you my recommendations and what I see MPG wise tuned and stock if you are interested.

Start reading up, and learning about your 6.0L. It can be a great motor, or a money pit, and it really boils down to how you drive and maintain it. Here's a thread to get you started. I've listed the various issues, and how to correct them.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

If you have any questions let us know.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thax a bunch. I like the truck and my Gf loves it over the dodge. Just brownie points. Dumb question but how can I tell if it's been tuned? Don't really care about the b/u camera so I guess I'll save $100. I did read about the bullet proofing so I guess I can start on that. I did get a 3yr warranty that covers my motor and tranny an all lubricating mechanical parts. My main thing is getting my mpgs way up for starters. Is it wise to delete the cat? Another dumb question: what is the degas bottle??
Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM

degas bottle is the new "radiator overflow and cap"
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM
The Silent Service

If it was tuned with a Banks or Edge, I don't believe it would show. Bully Dog will leave an artifact on your ECM, but you won't know it until you load up an SCT file. If it was done with an SCT, I wouldn't even worry about it, as SCT has the best track record with tuning the 6.0L.

I don't think you'll see much in mileage off just removing the CAT, it would drop EGTs down slightly though.

First step in mileage is keep your foot out of it, with the exception of a WOT run once or twice a week to get the turbo to fully cycle and get some air through the EGR system (breaks up the soot a bit). Don't baby the truck constantly, as the 6.0L needs to work to keep functioning, but don't race light-to-light.

Next is keeping up on service. Short cycle the oil and fuel filters a bit, and make sure you've got a good clean air filter (I still run the stock unit, best filtration out there bar none).

When the time comes to tune, only run a SCT flash tuner, and run the highest HP tune you are comfortable with for the best mileage. I saw a 10% gain over stock with my street file, and I see a 14-15% gain under my race file. Studded truck, and the street file is held back a bit to minimize smoke.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. First off I have an air raid so I'm just gonna leave that for now. As far as the sct flash tuner what exactly does it do? I had a super hips programmer in my cummins but just messed with it once.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Should I get an edge cts insight and sct? Which sct should I get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.