Updating/Bulletproofing decision.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Updating/Bulletproofing decision....

Okay, here is the decision I have to make. . Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

I can have the oil cooler rebuilt, EGR deleted, updated fuel regulator kit, turbo cleaned, injector standpipes replaced and new dummy plugs, EGT probe installed, oil bypass system installed (I already have these parts), including all parts and labor, new fluids and filters, etc., that is $2,236.

OR, I can have all of that done in addition to: all new remanufactured OEM injectors with spool valve isues fixed, and if my head gaskets are still good new ARP studs installed one at a time. He says they have had excellent results installing the studs like that and none have come back. That total is $4,081. The difference primarily being only another few hundred in labor, plus $1,000 for a full set of reman injectors (with spool valve issues fixed), and $495 for the head studs, and some additional gaskets.

Which way should I go? While he is in there, maybe having the injectors all replaced isn't a bad idea? I know there are varying opinions on the head studs being replaced without the heads being removed. My head bolts were replaced under the powertrain warranty about 30k miles ago, and I am confident my head gaskets are still good. Two well respected shops that I know of in our area do the ARP stud replacement one at a time with the heads on and say they have had zero problems.

Would the extra $1,800 seem cheap down the road if I had to have head bolts replaced or injectors replaced since they will already be in the motor anyway. Their estimate for doing the more extensive work includes lifting the cab off the truck.

I think I am leaning towards spending the extra money on the full treatment, but would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
The Silent Service

I think for $1800, roll the dice and have the studs and injectors done. Hard to beat that.

Looks like you'll have fuel pressure taken care of, what about your FICM? What was the cause of your injector failure?

Just realize that the studs/heads may fail down the road. That's the risk you run doing a stud job in this manner.

Your EGT probe connecting to a monitor, of gauge? Do you already have a good monitor onboard?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
unless they pull the heads theres no way to know the real condition of the head gaskets.

saying that id find out what the cost is if they say your gaskets are bad and have to pull the heads.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM

I don't know if my injectors have failed. I have had some starting/driveability issues lately and I think the mechanic included those in case those turned out to be the issue. $1,000 for reman updated injectors seems reasonable.

I have an Edge Insight CTS in the truck, and that is what the EGT and Turbo Timer will hook up to.

I am not sure how they propose to assess the condition of my head gaskets.

ON EDIT: I just talked with the mechanic. He said he will assess the injectors once he has the truck. He just wanted to include that amount in case they are are issue, sort of a worse case scenario.

Last edited by drysideshooter; 06-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 AM

id ask them first then how they plan to. you can test the cooling system pressure as a good indicator but i didnt have any puking or symptoms yet when my heads came off the gaskets were slightly blown.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM

He said that they would (as you predicted) assess the cooling system to help determine if they are okay. They were replaced 30k ago under the powertrain warranty, but I realize they could have started going since then.

There isn't a guarantee if they do the studs that way, but he said the studs can be re-used if the heads need done down the road. He said to remove the heads, have them gone over and replaced with ARP studs down the road would be about $3,500. I may forgo the studs this time and only do the injectors if it's warranted. The extra money seems reasonable, and he said part of the reason is that they remove the cab to do the studs, and the other work is faster with the cab off. He said to have the heads actually removed and gone over with new gaskets would be an additional $1,500 while they are in there.

With the others issues addressed I may not have him do the studs.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 AM

here my take on it.

options are 2300 for oil cooler and egr delete etc, 4100 for same plus cab on studs and injectors or 5600 for cab off studs and heads plus all the rest.

so you could do the 4100 now and then if the gaskets blow in 6 months its about 3500 in work. you gotta look at the cost as 5600 now vs 7600 later. its just me but if you not having an issue yet with the oil cooler id try and do egr delete and other of the items you listed like fpr spring and bypass filters while you saved the money and did it all at once. but if your budget says you can do the injectors now and then heads off studs later then go for it and see how it works out
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM

My delta's are to the point where I need to address the oil cooler, that is what got me thinking about having the work done.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:15 PM

it all depends on your budget but id either do the work and no injectors or all of it (cab off and stud)

have you looked at other options for the injectors being rebuilt. warren stock+ injectors are 500 plus cores
Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjake11 View Post
it all depends on your budget but id either do the work and no injectors or all of it (cab off and stud)

have you looked at other options for the injectors being rebuilt. warren stock+ injectors are 500 plus cores

THIS is what I was just going to say EXACTLY!!

Either do just the oil cooler/EGR delete and forget everything else for now until you can afford it the Right way or do it correctly the first time

Why pay $4k now only to find out that your gaskets are actually bad and the following week pay him another $3.5k to do the studs correctly

Ask about providing him with all your own parts.. (That will save you ALOT of $$$)
oil cooler $300
Warren 155 injectors ALOT better then stock $500
ARP's $400

You can have those three items for almost as much as he wants for JUST the injectors!!!
Plus everything else you can buy cheaper

Is your EGR cooler ruptured yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.