weird problem.. turbo sticking? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird problem.. turbo sticking?

hey all,
Ive been using my SCT for about 2 months now and I just got a custom tune a few weeks ago. My SCT has canned tunes that I was running (street perfromance). I didnt notice this problem im having untill I got my custom tune. Heres my problem.. When accelerating from a stop going about half throttle and maybe about 20psi of boost I get up to 50-60mph, then I ease of the throttle and hold 55mph or there abouts. When im holding this speed my boost psi on my gauge will just drop to 0 and hold it. Its like there is a switch for the turbo to shut it off and it was just shut off. So im still holding the gas pedal to keep me at around 55mph and if I give it more gas to speed up my boost will stay at zero like its in vacume and i just start to roal coal out my exhaust because Im not burning the fuel because I have zero boost. If I keep pushing the gas pedal to the floor I will just start blowing more smoke and my boost dont move from zero. Now If i go WOT it will roal coal for a sec then the boost will finally kick in like something was holding it back.
I dont ever notice my boost sticking in any other situation. When driving around from stop light to stop light and getting on it hard my boost never sticks or overboosts.
I talked to the guy who did my tune and had him change it thinking it may be that but i notice no change. He thinks its my turbo sticking. To be honest i dont think it is the tune but I think the tune may be bringing out a weakness in something.. I dont know... It dont seem like a sticking turbo since it only does it when that situation of getting up to highway speeds and holding speed.
Any ideas? Maybe my turbo is just now starting to stick and this is the first signs of it?

Thanks, Shark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 AM

Mine is doing exactly the same thing. I would love to know what's going on as well!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Jetjock15 has a similar issue.

turbo de-boosting?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM

close but no really the same thing..Hes dropping to 15psi.. Im dropping to zero.. But I guess we are both underboosting. After alot more reading Im starting to think my turbo veins are sticking but I dont know.

Last edited by SharkDiver; 06-11-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Bad sensor or the solenoid gone bad. If you have an egr valve it could be that too.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM

The EBP sensor? What solenoid?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Glow Plugs Only

I had a similar issue a couple of years back and was getting a P0299 code no CEL. It eneded up being stuck turbo vanes. Excessive rust and soot. Turbo removed and cleaned AOK.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM

I have a new unison ring in the garage already.. I guess I should just plan a day to clean my turbo and see how it runs then. Ill go look for a turbo rebuild kit now and order that.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Bad sensor or the solenoid gone bad. If you have an egr valve it could be that too.
I didnt notice this before.. I do have my egr valve still in and pluged in. I dont get a cel from it so I dont have it disabled.. Could this cause a problem not having my egr valve welded closed or not having it removed all together?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Island Dweller

Have you tried going back to the tune that you were running before the problem started just as a way to eliminate the new tune as the culprit?

Sent from my Atrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.