Please help me decide: bulletproof or trade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help me decide: bulletproof or trade?

I own a 05 6.0 that I purchased new. It has 107k miles on it. The EOT/ECT delta's are to the point that I need to do a new oil cooler and an EGR delete and have the other common items like stand pipes, dummy plugs, etc. addressed while the mechanic is in there. My head gaskets are currently good and I can have the shop put in ARP studs while they are in there as well. I believe the cost to get that done is around $3,500.

I put on a cooler bypass filter about 3k miles ago and the filters are clean, even the first one was pretty clean.

I just had a problem with starting. The truck would start but only idle at about 300 rpm very roughly, and die as soon as it was put in gear or the pedal was touched. Trying to restart it a few times and it would usually be okay. It threw the code for turbo underboost as well as crank sensor. I had the crank sensor replaced and the very next day it did the same exact thing. While driving it the VGT% stayed at 86 for a while no matter what I did, until it eventually started moving again. I am assuming that I have sticking vanes and that the unison and such needs cleaned. I am not sure how much most shops would charge to do that while doing the other work? I am guessing I can get a new turbo or have this one worked over for $1,500 or so?

That ends up being about $5,000. I'm not sure if it's worth spending that much on this truck, or if I should just trade it in on a new Chev gas truck. If I was confident that after spending the 5k I would get another 100k or so relatively trouble free miles I would do it in a heartbeat.

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

guess ya gotta do what ya think is best yourself. $5K vs $20+K and payments for 6-7 years! I am the same stage with my 94 ranger. can get it pretty much redone, reman engine, trans all new clutch, all new accessories about $5K for parts labor. Truck has 300K on it, Ive put in all the power accessories, body is straight, no rust, etc. Looked at used for an 02 w/almost 200K they want $10K, a used 10 with 18K on it they wanted $26K. I dont want payments, used I am buying a pig in a poke.

I had my 04 6.0 bullet proofed, Paid $4K to have it done think it will last a long time. leave for colorado springs on Wednsday, just had new tires installed and an alignment today. best of all no payments. Yes its a hard decision, but do what ya think is best for your situation
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM

5k to get several more years would make a lot of sense. I can probably get about 18k on trade for my truck. New gas Chev crew cab long bed, basically equipped for about 35k, so about 17k difference but a new truck with warranty. My current truck is also a dually and I don't have a need for duals any more, but that isn't a huge deal to me.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your ficm for the issues that ur having, they tend to go south around 100k. I'd might stick with bullet proofing as long as ur mec knows what he's doing. I had my rear main, crank case seal, head gaskets changed under warranty and mine still leaks oil around the heads. 6.0's can be an expensive head ache but I still in a trance with the 6.0 cackle sound, the last true sounding diesel. But don't buy a gasser, read my sig at the bottom.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM

My FICM voltage stays around 48.0-48.5. Is it possible it could still be bad?

I'm not sure how much faith I have in American made diesels anymore. The 6.0 sounds good, but compared to keeping the average gas engine going I'm not sure there is any real economy there.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

This is the very question I am asking myself! Just diagnosed a blown EGR cooler...possibly an oil cooler and more. i drive a 05 dually 4WD with a utility bed and 141000 well maintained miles on the clock. Had new gaskets, studs, oil cooler and SCTs 56k miles ago(Two years ago) at the dealer. Now down again, and am not crazy about OEM parts anymore. Not sure what rig will haul my load of tools and materials around on a daily basis. Lifes' full of choices, huh?
DVCF450
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lots of the issues can be dealt with on the 6.0. How bulletproof you make it depends on how serious you are about making it bulletproof. Throw a Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler on and never worry about replacing another oil cooler. Delete the EGR or put a Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler on and you never have to worry about that again either. If the Bulletproof oil cooler is too expensive for you IPR has a new kit to remote mount the oem oil cooler at about half the cost. If you add the IPR coolant filter inline with the oil cooler the likelyhood of it clogging again goes way down but if it does clog it is a 1/2 hr job to swap the cooler out and about $250 for the cooler. Not such a big deal any more.

For head gaskets the OEM Ford gaskets are the way to go. For EGR coolers they're not. Their are lots of ways to deal with the problems when they come up. Biting the bullet and doing it right the first time lets you move on and forget about it. Partial measures are cheaper but you may end up doing the repairs again down the road, especially if you stick with the oem oil cooler and egr cooler. Of course if you are willing to turn your own wrenches the cost of bulletproofing a 6.0 gets to be very reasonable.

The 6.0 can be a very powerful reliable truck if you are willing to make it that way. The recipe is very well known at this point. I've had my 05 for 4 years and over that time I have done a lot of work to it making it the truck I want it to be. I'm still working on making that happen. But my truck is reliable, sounds great, looks great, and is a blast to drive. I won't be getting rid of it in any future I can see. I'll rebuild it until it's not rebuildable any more.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 AM

One other consideration is that my work truck now mostly get used for shorter trips. For a while I was hauling a small piece of equipment with it and covering longer distances. Now we are working a lot in the local area and there are days where I don't get over 45mpg, and quite a bit of drive the truck a few miles in town, stop at a job site, turn it off, start it up ten minutes later, drive a few miles, repeat. I am not sure if that is idea for any rig, but isn't it especially bad with a diesel?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not too bad as it takes quite a whille to cool down so you do get it up to temp at some point. That is the key. Getting it up to full operating temp.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 AM
The Silent Service

I'd bullet-proof the 6.0L you have, I enjoy the power of my truck and its interior more than a newer vehicle and I'm not saddled with the emission control equipment, a Payment or a Warranty that keeps me from improving the trucks performance.

A few other options now on turbos, that won't run you $1500. My suggestion is going with a Stage 1 from MTW (Madpowerstroke - around $1250 before core turn in), unless you really want a lot of power. Its proving to be a solid improvement over stock, even under Ford programming.

I'll refer you to my bullet-proofing thread for more details:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Its an easy decision in my eyes, bullet-proof and enjoy the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.