Dicisions dicisions... What to do ugh. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dicisions dicisions... What to do ugh.

Well after much thought about what to do with my rig since it threw a rod out the block I think I am going to let the stealership put a "new" rebuilt motor in her. They said it will cost almost 16k to do but the motor will come with a 3 year warranty. In the mean time I am going to buy an older mid to late 90's or early 2000's F150 since I can find them all day long around 3 to 6 grand. May have to let the SD sit for about 6 months to a year but I really want to keep her. Thought about the cummins conversion but I cant justify the extra cost. If I have the warranty and after 3 years I will more than likely upgrade to a newer ride by then anyways. Should be able to find some nice 6.7 on the market by then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM

$16,000 for a rebuilt motor?

I'm sorry but that just seems like a ton to pay for a motor, when you can get an entire truck for that or a little more.

These stories make me want to puke. I feel for ya man.

On a side note, my buddy burried his 06 dodge cummins in a water hole, flooded the cab, fried the tranny, so the insurance company is going to give him $22,000 and total the truck.

Makes ya think, if you blow up the motor, drive it into a lake after.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Not going to lie.... thought up a few ways to make an insurance claim. But in the end I'm not that kinda person. What's the saying, karma is a b****. I got to make a few calls, thats from only one dealership. May find a cheaper quote else where. I did find a donor motor with 80k miles on it and the junkyard wanted $5400 but thats no warranty and no history of what that motor has been thru. In the end I want to keep my rig for awhile so that makes the best sense to me unless someone has a better idea. At this point I'm running out of options.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

I see rebuilt long blocks for $4K with ARP studs........A bit of shopping around and I'm sure you can get a warrantied block for a third the price that stealership wants....They're rediculous, mine charge doubles what Tousley does for parts.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Find a reputable local shop to do the work and source a low miles used motor from a salvage yard, should be about half the cost.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it was me, I would part it out and start over. What happened to you is just unfortunate, and unusual for any make or model. I hate this happened to you, 16k on top of what you already have in it is tooo much. imho. My truck has been sittin since nov. for an injector and an oil cooler.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 AM

From tousley I could get a short block for 4730.00 plus 1500 refundable core. This is what it includes Includes: Cylinder Block, Pistons, Rings, Rods, Rod Bearings, Crankshaft, Main Bearings, Timing Chain & Sprockets And Camshaft & Bearings. not a bad deal if the rest is good.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 AM
The Silent Service

If it was me, I'd be getting a new block, do a complete tear down and rebuild. You have accepted being without the truck for a year. You have a great opportunity, though the conditions which brought it about are unfortunate.

You can build a very solid 6.0L out of a new block for $16K, if you are willing to put forth the time and investment. I like these '05-'07 bodies too much to buy a newer truck, and I don't want to deal with the emissions control equipment. I'd take a rebuild project any day, than a part out and start fresh. Just get the dealership out of the equation, my bet is they'd sort change you every chance they get, right down to using TTY headbolts.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 AM

Yea I know what you mean Colo... I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
From tousley I could get a short block for 4730.00 plus 1500 refundable core. This is what it includes Includes: Cylinder Block, Pistons, Rings, Rods, Rod Bearings, Crankshaft, Main Bearings, Timing Chain & Sprockets And Camshaft & Bearings. not a bad deal if the rest is good.
I'm not going to lie, I'm not any kinda gearhead. So basically this has all the main componets that I need and the rest I should be able to salvage off of my rig right? I know she threw a rod and dropped a cylinder but everything else should be good I believe. Also will they take a core if it has a hole in it? Someone told me they will take a core swap no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.