Gauge watchers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauge watchers

Ok here is the story...

Last summer I bought a 2004 f-250. Love it. First thing I did was bought the edge insight cts gauges to see what was going on. Worst day of my life. I watch those damn gauges waiting for something to happen. Ok the deltas were around 20-25degrees and that scared me. So I tore down the truck in my driveway and did what I was supposed to. Oil cooler, EGR delete and coolant filter.

Deltas were now at 8-12 and the truck was running great. I was upset that the deltas were still high and I thought that that I didn't flush the system enough. I did flush the hell out of it. I was still puking and everyone said that my coolant level was too high. I hooked up a gauge to check coolant pressure. 16-18psi all the time. Never returned to zero. Damn...

Ok so a couple of weeks ago I started collecting parts for head gaskets with arp bolts. I bought a 2005 engine and had the heads pressure tested, vacuum tested, and decked so I would have little down time. BTW I have 2004 heads for sale so I did a cab off head gasket repair. Not too hard, just a long process for the first timer.

I had an exhaust leak and a slight fuel leak but over all it was a success. Ok now on to the gauges. The EOT and ECT deltas are now down to only 2 or 3 degrees. Awesome, Don't need a new oil cooler. Coolant pressure is up to 8 psi at operating temps and drops with the temp. Everytime I get into the truck in the morning the psi is at zero and rises to 8psi at operating temp. Before the gaskets it would go to 16-18 but never drop to zero.

Just some observations that I have before and after head gaskets.

Joel

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Hey, your story sounds like mine. I have a 04 psd and I bought gauges a couple of months ago and low and behold my delta was 45*. I flushed the coolant and my delta is stil 25* so I figured to go ahead and do studs, oe cooler, and a few other mods. Hopefully I will be good for a while. I guess you had a slight head gasket leak causing a slight spike in your eot it makes since. I guess?
If you don't mind me asking, how long did the tear down and install take?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The pressure in the Degas bottle is not suppose to drop to 0 overnight unless you have leaks in the system.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
The pressure in the Degas bottle is not suppose to drop to 0 overnight unless you have leaks in the system.
Good to know. Maybe it's the cap. I bought a new one last summer and it's been venting ever since. I'm not losing coolant. Any other ideas?

Joel
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM
War is the answer!

My old caps would go bad all the time. I tend to replace them once a year now.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Replaced my cap but it still does the same thing. Starts at 0psi in morning. Rises to 8psi during driving at normal temp. Drops to 0psi when cold again. Thinking about this though and that sounds normal. Volume remains constant, therefore the increase of temp will bring the increase of pressure and vice versa. Now if my headgaskets were leaking and introducing exhaust to pressurize the system it shouldn't return to 0psi unless I removed the cap.

Joel

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
War is the answer!

Nope. If your heads were leaking it would not maintain pressure as it would leak through the heads.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

It would leak through the heads if they were still hot. My truck was fine until it hit operating temps then the degass would puke. It held pressure for days. Everything is working now perfect.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the pressure starts at 0, it should return to 0. Simple physics, PV=nRT
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

My truck does exactly the same thing....I'm unstudded but I pull 10K trailer at 75 using a tow tune and only see 8-10 psi and every time in the AM I'm a 0 PSI on my pressure guage. It has always gone back to zero and I'm not puking or experiencing any other issues at all.

I'd say you are just fine, but that's just an opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.