EOT with BPD External Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT with BPD External Oil Cooler

Hey Guys,

During the first drive with my BPD External Oil Cooler (90 miles at 65 mph or so) I was hovering around 190 degrees with no more than a 3-6 degree ECT delta. Does that sound about right? Did a complete bullet proof with a BPD EGR and water pump.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Here's how mine read as of yesterday on a 110 mile round trip. Highway cruising 70MPH ECT 192* EOT 180* EGT 650* Trans TMP 175* intake air temp 78*
Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM

You really don't have a true delta between the temps anymore. The coolant temp has no direct effect on the oil temp and vice versa. I think it all depends on if your BPD kit has the thermostat or not. Really I don't think you need to worry about the EOT anymore unless it starts to get really hot. I remember reading somewhere the oil works best around 205-210 but can't remember for sure.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would like to know EOT with a BPD Oil cooler towing over 10k# in 100* temps.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Cooler location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
Here's how mine read as of yesterday on a 110 mile round trip. Highway cruising 70MPH ECT 192* EOT 180* EGT 650* Trans TMP 175* intake air temp 78*
Where's your cooler located? Mine is behind the condenser.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeS View Post
You really don't have a true delta between the temps anymore. The coolant temp has no direct effect on the oil temp and vice versa. I think it all depends on if your BPD kit has the thermostat or not. Really I don't think you need to worry about the EOT anymore unless it starts to get really hot. I remember reading somewhere the oil works best around 205-210 but can't remember for sure.
That's one of the great things about the BPD oil cooler, no more deltas to worry about But that being said everybodies still interested in what the numbers are and if the conversion is worth it or not. I'm thinking now of getting a thermostatically controlled remote fan mounted cooler for the transmission and mounting it midship and deleting the whole radiator mounted setup all together and seeing what that accomplishes. Then there will be no chance of coolant/transmission fluid contamination what so ever and be done with another worry and as far as I'm concerened. JMHO take it for what it's worth
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
I would like to know EOT with a BPD Oil cooler towing over 10k# in 100* temps.
Towing my 12k trailer here in Arizona over Memorial day weekend, I was about 215-220* and pulling a grade, it would go up to 230-235 until I crested the hill. On a 7 mile 6% grade, it hit 250* just as I crested the hill. This was running Matt's 8K tow tune with my PowerMax. I wasn't dogging the heck out of it to see if I could get to the top of the hill first, but I wasn't going easy on it, either. I don't recall outside temps at the time, but it was around noon and my IAT was over 130*F.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Towing my 12k trailer here in Arizona over Memorial day weekend, I was about 215-220* and pulling a grade, it would go up to 230-235 until I crested the hill. On a 7 mile 6% grade, it hit 250* just as I crested the hill. This was running Matt's 8K tow tune with my PowerMax. I wasn't dogging the heck out of it to see if I could get to the top of the hill first, but I wasn't going easy on it, either. I don't recall outside temps at the time, but it was around noon and my IAT was over 130*F.
Now that seems high to me. The only time mine ever got that high(with stock OC) was when my HG were already shot. Doesn't the dummy gauge on the dash start moving into the red at 250*?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
Now that seems high to me. The only time mine ever got that high(with stock OC) was when my HG were already shot. Doesn't the dummy gauge on the dash start moving into the red at 250*?
Is there an oil temp dummy gauge? I know there is one for the coolant temp...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
This is the sort of condition that has me worried about going with the external oil cooler, and towing heavy. What altitude where you at for that run (roughly)? On your tow file, does the fan engage on ECT or EOT (some have their files written for EOT)?

I don't know how much that tune and the Pmax would effect the EOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.