Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Am I lucky or a typical 6.0 owner?

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  niftytwofifty 
#1 · (Edited)
First off a little history. I have an '06 F250 CC SRW 4X4. I bought it new in October of '05. I always do the oil changes and fuel filter changes myself at intervals a little sooner than called for in the manual. The truck has never been in the shop for repairs. After reading all of the horror stories about clogged oil coolers and ruptured EGR coolers I was getting a little worried about my truck. I still, after 75000 miles, have the ford gold coolant in the truck and decided to just do a coolant service and keep the gold stuff in there. I installed a coolant filter after the coolant service and went out and picked up a Scanguage II. I hooked it up last night and drove the truck to work this morning. On the way home, the outside temps were about 90 degrees. My drive home is 20 miles and I was doing about 70 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to see my deltas stayed at 5 to 7 degrees. With the ECT at 188 and the EOT at 193 most of the way. :woot: So, am I lucky or just a typical 6.0 owner? I had to post a good story about a 6.0. I'm tired of all of the 6.0 bashing.

#2 ·
Your not lucky your just a good 6.0 owner who stays up on their maintenance like you should.

#3 ·
Your an owner who does the required maintenance and your getting good service for your truck! That's what the manual is for and most people bash the 6.0 after buying a used one that wasn't maintained or was treated like crap

#5 ·
I love reading stories like this. The 6.0 is a good motor but we hardly ever hear the good side, mostly just people complaining about the motor. I gotta say I love mine, but it's been good to me. Sounds like you got a good one too!

#6 ·
Same story as me! I bought my 6.0 from my boss at the beginning of this year. I've almost exclusively been the sole maintainer of the pickup since it was brand new and I did everything it needed and when it needed it done. 72,000 miles and it still has the factory EGR, gold coolant, head bolts, oil cooler, ect. Never once has it been to the dealer or any mechanic besides myself, and the only major work I've done was a turbo cleaning. After getting the pickup in my possession I began learning much more about the 6.0, got a coolant filter, put the blue spring in, and got a CTS and my delta's stay right in that 5-7 range.:woot: Loving the 6.0!

I'd like to do a coolant flush and switch to ELC just as a preventative measure, but am afraid doing so will plug my cooler.:eek:hnoes:

#8 ·
This is good to hear. I've hav my 07 6.0 for a few months and i still love it. I want to keep this trukk for a long time.

#9 ·
It sounds to me like your thermostat is getting weak, 188 degrees cruising at 90 degree heat is a little cool. Should be 190-193, proper temps promote good combustion, keep an eye on it.

#10 ·
I too lucked out and bought a truck that was maintained very well by the dealer. The 1st owner had a 100,000 mile service plan where everything was done by the dealer. The next 50,000 miles are unaccounted for, but in the 20,000 miles I've owned it, it's been strong. I am just having to deal with the frame components showing wear at 168,000 miles. I think a lot of attention was paid to the motor, but regular maintainence on the frame-end was neglected. I'm talking brakes, suspension, steering, etc... That's what I'm working on now, getting all of those issues replaced.

I'll admit, I was a little worried because I did my first coolant service at 75k but when I saw that delta I was pretty relieved. I also just ordered some REV-X so I guess I'll see if all of the hype about the stuff is true.
Rev-X is great stuff! My rig springs to life instantly, everyday, since I put Rev-X in it!

It sounds to me like your thermostat is getting weak, 188 degrees cruising at 90 degree heat is a little cool. Should be 190-193, proper temps promote good combustion, keep an eye on it.
:doh: Really...? 2 degrees...? That is no cause for concern at all.

#11 ·
Your not lucky. You are one of those 6.0 owners that have no problems who dont go on the web to complain

#12 ·
I got 130K on mine. Ficm and STC fitting are the only motor issues. Bad batteres killed the ficm. Oh and EGR valve stuck open once. Cleaned it, and resumed riding.

I run rotella dino oil, change all the fluids myself, use motorcraft filters, and Ford gold coolant.

I believe alot ofthe problems folks see are from lack of maintenance. The guy that had a 7.3 and changed the oil once a year, gets a 6.0, and does the same, is going to have issues.

Based on my knowledge of fluids, I believe the silca's clogging the EGR and Oil coolers is really an issue of lack of coolant maintenance and higher engine temps. Programmers adding +100 HP, increases engine temps, especially at load or WOT. Temperature increases is a common method used in a variety of applications to help seperate solids suspended in a fluid. Heat the fluid up, then let it cool, see what settles out.

I love my 6.0. There is not another engine I would want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.