Am I lucky or a typical 6.0 owner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I lucky or a typical 6.0 owner?

First off a little history. I have an '06 F250 CC SRW 4X4. I bought it new in October of '05. I always do the oil changes and fuel filter changes myself at intervals a little sooner than called for in the manual. The truck has never been in the shop for repairs. After reading all of the horror stories about clogged oil coolers and ruptured EGR coolers I was getting a little worried about my truck. I still, after 75000 miles, have the ford gold coolant in the truck and decided to just do a coolant service and keep the gold stuff in there. I installed a coolant filter after the coolant service and went out and picked up a Scanguage II. I hooked it up last night and drove the truck to work this morning. On the way home, the outside temps were about 90 degrees. My drive home is 20 miles and I was doing about 70 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to see my deltas stayed at 5 to 7 degrees. With the ECT at 188 and the EOT at 193 most of the way. So, am I lucky or just a typical 6.0 owner? I had to post a good story about a 6.0. I'm tired of all of the 6.0 bashing.

Last edited by TOPFUELF250; 06-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Your not lucky your just a good 6.0 owner who stays up on their maintenance like you should.

00' f350 7.3 8" lift 37x13.5x20 toyo mt, xd wheels, 16 chrome shocks all around, air ride, quad pillar gauge, ghost flame paint, PHP chip
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DIY Intake, Zoodad mod, foil delete, recon smoked cab lights, recon smoked led third brake light, wicked wheel, nc hornet's ccv mod, riffraff boots, HPX, 4" turbo back 8" miter stack.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Your an owner who does the required maintenance and your getting good service for your truck! That's what the manual is for and most people bash the 6.0 after buying a used one that wasn't maintained or was treated like crap

06 F-250 ccsb King Ranch, 2011 KR interior AC seats, door panels, 3" RC lift, SCT X3, WILDMAN tune, bumpers, Edge CTS, AMSOIL bypass kit, pillar gauges, ARPs, Warren 155s, egr delete, 4" exhaust...the list goes on and on

2004 Toyota 4runner 3" lift Shrockworks bumper and 285's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I'll admit, I was a little worried because I did my first coolant service at 75k but when I saw that delta I was pretty relieved. I also just ordered some REV-X so I guess I'll see if all of the hype about the stuff is true.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM

I love reading stories like this. The 6.0 is a good motor but we hardly ever hear the good side, mostly just people complaining about the motor. I gotta say I love mine, but it's been good to me. Sounds like you got a good one too!

05 F250 FX4 Lariat, SCT Livewire, 155cc injectors, Gryphon FICM tuner, ARP studs, MTW Stage 2 Turbo, Riff Raff boots, Warren Built trans, PMF traction bars ,4 inch straight pipe, Sinister EGR delete, S&B CAI, N-fab bars, level kit, 5% limo tint, 35 Toyos and 20s, Recon smoked everything, Harley headlights, 5k HID's, Camlocker toolbox, lots more
post #6 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Same story as me! I bought my 6.0 from my boss at the beginning of this year. I've almost exclusively been the sole maintainer of the pickup since it was brand new and I did everything it needed and when it needed it done. 72,000 miles and it still has the factory EGR, gold coolant, head bolts, oil cooler, ect. Never once has it been to the dealer or any mechanic besides myself, and the only major work I've done was a turbo cleaning. After getting the pickup in my possession I began learning much more about the 6.0, got a coolant filter, put the blue spring in, and got a CTS and my delta's stay right in that 5-7 range. Loving the 6.0!

I'd like to do a coolant flush and switch to ELC just as a preventative measure, but am afraid doing so will plug my cooler.

2007 F-350 Lariat Outlaw

4in down pipe, 5in exhaust
Warren Diesel 155 Injectors
Homebrew EGR Delete Manifold
SCT with tunes by Matt and Vivian
Edge CTS Insight with EGT and Fuel PSI
Blue fuel spring
PMM Coolant Filter
'08 Navigation
'03 Whistler Turbo!

post #7 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
L&B
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihv800 View Post
I'd like to do a coolant flush and switch to ELC just as a preventative measure, but am afraid doing so will plug my cooler.
You could try flushing with water only, then refilling with ELC. Many will probably squeal about that suggestion, but it worked out very well for me and some others.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
This is good to hear. I've hav my 07 6.0 for a few months and i still love it. I want to keep this trukk for a long time.

JesseKFK

2007 F250 XLT CC 6.0 PowerStroke FX4 R.I.P. 3.6.16

Livewire TS LOoNeY
Studded
BPD 58v FICM
BPD Oil&Egr Cooler
Glow Shift Pyro,Fuel
High Idle Mod UF#4
Fog Light Mod
Harpoon Mod
Dome Override Mod
6000k Bi-neon Hids
Sinister Coolant Filter
8in Rize Ind 4 link
35" Mickeys on 20s
Blue Leds
Power Service Every Fill Up
ATV 2008 Yamaha Raptor 700 FI
KCCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I hate Edge power products so much, I quit using Edge shaving gel
post #9 of 12 Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 AM

It sounds to me like your thermostat is getting weak, 188 degrees cruising at 90 degree heat is a little cool. Should be 190-193, proper temps promote good combustion, keep an eye on it.

2004 F-250 XLT- FX4 - 4X4, Supercab, 8' bed, BRIGHT RED, Flint Gray Interior, 6.0 Torqshift
Sinister EGR Delete
Rotella ELC
Gutted throttle body
Coolant filter
Stator delete
Blue spring, 6.4 banjos
NChornet CCV mod
Rotella 5W-40 T-6 oil, Motorcraft filters
EDGE CTS monitor

post #10 of 12 Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPFUELF250 View Post
First off a little history. I have an '06 F250 CC SRW 4X4. I bought it new in October of '05. I always do the oil changes and fuel filter changes myself at intervals a little sooner than called for in the manual. The truck has never been in the shop for repairs. After reading all of the horror stories about clogged oil coolers and ruptured EGR coolers I was getting a little worried about my truck. I still, after 75000 miles, have the ford gold coolant in the truck and decided to just do a coolant service and keep the gold stuff in there. I installed a coolant filter after the coolant service and went out and picked up a Scanguage II. I hooked it up last night and drove the truck to work this morning. On the way home, the outside temps were about 90 degrees. My drive home is 20 miles and I was doing about 70 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to see my deltas stayed at 5 to 7 degrees. With the ECT at 188 and the EOT at 193 most of the way. So, am I lucky or just a typical 6.0 owner? I had to post a good story about a 6.0. I'm tired of all of the 6.0 bashing.

I too lucked out and bought a truck that was maintained very well by the dealer. The 1st owner had a 100,000 mile service plan where everything was done by the dealer. The next 50,000 miles are unaccounted for, but in the 20,000 miles I've owned it, it's been strong. I am just having to deal with the frame components showing wear at 168,000 miles. I think a lot of attention was paid to the motor, but regular maintainence on the frame-end was neglected. I'm talking brakes, suspension, steering, etc... That's what I'm working on now, getting all of those issues replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPFUELF250 View Post
I'll admit, I was a little worried because I did my first coolant service at 75k but when I saw that delta I was pretty relieved. I also just ordered some REV-X so I guess I'll see if all of the hype about the stuff is true.
Rev-X is great stuff! My rig springs to life instantly, everyday, since I put Rev-X in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
It sounds to me like your thermostat is getting weak, 188 degrees cruising at 90 degree heat is a little cool. Should be 190-193, proper temps promote good combustion, keep an eye on it.
Really...? 2 degrees...? That is no cause for concern at all.

Denis "Lt. Sled"
2006 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dark Shadow Gray

462hp / 927ft-lbs Corrected
ARP Head Studs, NUC Motorsports Oil Bypass, CFM+ Intake Elbow, Wicked Wheel 2
Bullet Proof Diesel FICM w/Atlas 40, SCT SF3 w/SPD by TSD! Grover Fire Truck Horns
Cab Light Mod, Blue Spring Mod, Zoodad Mod, High Idle Mod, Lost EGR Mod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode