Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels, want to get a 6.0. Been doing lots of research, looking for input.
Hey guys, great forum. I'm a forum junkie, and a Ford guy through and through, so I've been doing alot of research lately on getting a used Ford Powerstroke. My thought has been 6.0 or 6.4.
I think I'm leaning toward the 6.0, for a number of reasons:
- better mileage (CA guy, so can't remove the emissions stuff)
- fewer moving parts
I've done alot of research, and was looking for a later 6.0, and was trying to put money aside to bullet proof it right off the bat. I understand that this is not required, but would like to do it right, and do it up front so that I don't have an unanticipated cost later. I also want to have the same shop do an inspection on it before I buy it. I'd also have an Oasis report run before I buy it.
Any thoughts on:
- Which years I should look for? I'm assuming the later the better, as they worked out kinks as they go along.
- Anything specific I should look at, that I might not have picked up in my research so far?
- Anything specifically to avoid?
- Are these things solid enough that I can be more flexible with regards to mileage, considering that I am going to bullet proof it?
It seems like most of the nice trucks that I am coming across are in the $20k-30k range, not much outside of that range. The prices look good, but I'd want to tap into the expertise of this forum before I jump on anything without thinking through it. (not a strong suit of mine)
Thanks for any advice!