Thinking About Buying 07 6.0 But Worried Please Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking About Buying 07 6.0 But Worried Please Help

I am looking at a 07 with the 6.0. It is a crew cab 4x4 F-350. I am a 7.3 guy so I am way out of my comfort zone. I have heard all of the horrer stories and I have also heard that they had them pretty well figured out by 07. So the truck I am looking at has 220K miles on it. I would not worry about that kind of millage on a 7.3 should I worry about the 07 6.0?

Truck runs great and everything seems as it should. The coolant resevour is still see through but the coolant was a little low but not far below the min mark. They are

asking 8K. Should I run or investigate further? I am going to use it to tow my 36 ft fifthwheel that weighs 12k and I live in the Colorado mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read this.
What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

And this.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
The Silent Service

Howdy,

There isn't as many things to do with the '07 trucks (still has the core EGR cooler, but the MY issues are corrected), just make sure you have a monitor to keep an eye on things under the hood. I wouldn't worry about the mileage, as much, depending on what they are asking for it.

One more thread, as a 6.0L owner you need to know what to look for:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

You mention being in Colorado, if interested in joining the local chapter, shoot me a PM. Welcome to the ORG.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know how many miles a 6.0 will go for I know a 7.3 will go for 500k
But a 6.0 idk. Another thing you have to consider is that at 8,000 and your head gaskets go and u bullet profit your looking at almost 13,000 dollars into a 220,000 mile 6.0

Sent from a Apple
Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrain25 View Post
I don't know how many miles a 6.0 will go for I know a 7.3 will go for 500k
But a 6.0 idk. Another thing you have to consider is that at 8,000 and your head gaskets go and u bullet profit your looking at almost 13,000 dollars into a 220,000 mile 6.0

Sent from a Apple
HG's can be prevented, as long as you watch the oil cooler which is the root cause of the issue. You can get HG's done for around $4500-$5500 at most if you catch it early and have it done at a dealership. And for a fraction of that if you do it yourself.

If your HG's do let loose, 220,000 miles is when I would consider getting a new block/entire motor for the investment. The 5R110 is a great transmission (hence why Ford continued to use it with the 6.4L). So I wouldn't part out the truck for the motors failure at that point.

I consider the 7.3L at least a 500K motor or better (there are a few over 1 million miles), and I see the 6.0L as a 350-400K motor as long as you are willing to do the work and are proactive in catching issues. That's being conservative, I intend to get 400K out of mine.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. I will read those threads. I would be interested in joining a local PSD group so look for a PM soon. One last thing, how is that 5sp auto trans? Do they hold up well? Are they comparable to a 4R100 as far as rebuild costs go?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So 6.0 are good for 350,000 I didn't know that. Learn something new ever day

I'm looking at buy a 6.0 just because there mood and require more maintenance. I like doing that stuff. I wish my 7.3 needed tons of maintenance.., the damn thing just keeps running lol and I do agree the 5r100 is a very good tranny.

And those damn 6.0 move like stink

Sent from a Apple
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
The Silent Service

That 5R110 5sp auto is the best light diesel automatic out there. Unless you intend to go past 500RWHP, don't expect to put much into it. As for cost of rebuilding, it is more expensive, as its a little more dependent on electronics and solenoids, but its very reliable as long as you keep up on service, and don't run a shift-on-the-fly tuner.

My statement of them being 350K motors, is based on keeping that oil cooler from causing chaos.

And for a simple tuner being all that is needed for 400RWHP, and the truck keeping the auto under her, the 6.0L is a great platform for mild builds on limited funds.
You simply cannot neglect these motors, as the 7.3L's of old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.