need some advice on towing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question need some advice on towing?

i gotta 07 PSD 250, im going to be towing a 76 chevy shortbed with a 4 inch lift and 33s, i know the diesel can pull it no problem the sob could pull a house down you know, the problem is i have a towbar and im fabricating a base plate that drops down to pull it, will the chevy tow ok behind or be all over the road, whats the max speed i can drive while towing it cuz i will be driving about 1000 miles with it, and besides disconnecting both driveshafts what else do i need to do to the cheve to prepare it for a safe tow? unlock the steering wheel or keep it locked ive had people tell me both im looking for advice from those with experience in towing 4x4 rigs with their PSD's. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

as long as your towbar is up to the task, i see no reason you cant maintain a freeway cruising speed. i wouldnt be doing anything crazy, but keep it around 60-65 you should be fine.
i'm not sure what you mean by a base plate ?? you dont really need to disconnect both the driveshafts if you can freewheel the front hubs you should only have to disconnect the rear driveshaft.
do not leave the steering locked, let it turn so it can follow the truck properly without binding, or you will cause wear and tear on your tires as well as risk damage to your towbar. check the fluid levels in the diffs on the chevy, as the diffs will be the only things operating during the tow. (besides the wheel bearings of course)
make sure you hook up lights so you have brake lights and taillights whether you use a separate set or hook up to the chevy harness. you should also get a "in tow" sign for the back of the chevy just to cover your but, i think some states require that on towed vehicles but not all.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Serving in the U.S. ARMY!

I agree. If you leave the steering wheel locked, it will become "unlocked" before long. Drop the driveshafts, may help improve your mileage. If the alignment is good, it should track fine at highway speeds. You can get trailer lights for $25 that you can mount to the bumper.
I flat towed a '76 Chevy long bed 2 wheel drive this way for about 1400 miles averaging 70 and it did fine.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 PM

when you say unlock the steering wheel just disconnect the battey and turn the key to unlock it, is it going to matter if the truck is in park or nuetral or anything.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You want the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral. As long as the transfer case is in neutral there is no need to disconnect any driveshafts. Does a 76 even have a steering lock?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Why not just rent a trailer and use that??? or buy one?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:34 PM

its got a steering lock and renting a trailer or buying one would be more exspensive than just towing it with a towbar.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4x4 View Post
You want the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral. As long as the transfer case is in neutral there is no need to disconnect any driveshafts. Does a 76 even have a steering lock?
because disconnecting the driveshafts saves putting the miles on u joints, and the output shaft of tranny and any wear on tranny. some older transmissions would burn up because the pump was run off of the input shaft, and with the engine off, the input shaft was not turning, therefore the pump was not pumping, yet the shafts were spinning.

not a good scenario.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvTitan View Post
because disconnecting the driveshafts saves putting the miles on u joints, and the output shaft of tranny and any wear on tranny. some older transmissions would burn up because the pump was run off of the input shaft, and with the engine off, the input shaft was not turning, therefore the pump was not pumping, yet the shafts were spinning.

not a good scenario.
That's why you put it in park. That locks the transmission and keeps you from hurting the tranny. As far as wear in the driveshafts, They are designed to turn(A LOT). If you use that argument then you need to put the truck on a trailer to save wear and tear on the tires.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

i wasn't fully awake, i forgot you mentioned transfer case.. yes that is fine.
i was thinking of a 2wd for some reason but yes with a transfer case you are correct.
the only gain therefore from removing the driveshafts would be less friction from rotating mass, but that wouldnt be a concern unless it was a REALLY long trip, otherwise probably not worth it. this is in reference to fuel mileage of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.