Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need advice- 6.0 or no 6.0?

571 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Six0~Stroker 
#1 ·
Hey all I've been killing myself lately tryin to decide if I want to take the plunge again. I had an 08 6.4 and I loved the truck but kept having problems- so much so that I traded for a gas z71 to try and save money... The problem now is I have the diesel bug and it's not going away... I can't afford a 6.7 and don't want another 6.4. I have found a 6.0 that has all I want in it but I can't convince myself I won't have to put major bucks into it to keep it going... It's an 06(one of the better years?) and has 102k on it.

So first off- what can I realistically expect to have to do to it to keep it from imploding (I have researched and found all the posts about bullet-proofing but don't know if any bugs were fixed by the 06 models)

Second- would this be the best compromise between the 7.3s durability and the 6.4 power?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Get a scangauge2 or edge insight (CS or CTS) and look at the ECT, EOT, and FICM voltage...

check the degas bottle for any puking aroung the cap.
Check for any smoke out of the exhaust.
Oasis Report.
See if it is studded (Drivers front bolt) if it has a bolt head its OEM, if it is a stud it is good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.