turbo de-boosting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
turbo de-boosting?

Weird one but I did a google search and found many people experiancing the same problem, but nobody posted a fix.

The deal is towing heavy, level to slight uphill, only in OD or maybe one gear below, about 55-70 mph right about 2k rpm my turbo was de-boosting

So I would be going along normal, all good, 2k rpm 25 psi boost, 950-1000 EGT, steady state cruising, then once in awhile, always in the same general parameters listed above, the turbo would wind back, which i could hear and on the boost gauge it would drop steady right to 15psi and hold, the EGT would immediately start climbing, up towards 1300, could not feel any real loss of power, and then when the EGTs got to about 1300, the boost gauge would rocket up to 34 psi and hold for about 2 seconds, then settle back at 25-28, and the EGTs would come back down, and all would be normal until the next time.

Like i said i found others with the exact same issue, but nobody posted a fix. It sounds like an EGR issue maybe, but My setup right now is gogo intake, where there is no separation of the intake for the EGR, the valve just sits down in a huge hollow empty intake, and my Tow Tune has it "programed" off also. So I dont know, weird. Besides that the truck runs fine, leaks nothing. I am going to try to just unplug the egr valve and see if that does anything, I only had it plugged in cause I have heard of dudes having less power unplugged, but I will try it. Then after that I am going to go back to stock tune and see if it does it. I tried loading two different towing tunes I had though, and it did it on both. Any thoughts? thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What were your EOT and ECT while this was happening Rob?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM

about 220 ECT and 235 EOT, not too bad. Its not de-fueling at those temps, which was my original thought, and the fact the EGT immediately starts to rise, and I feel no loss in power, she is not retarding the fuel input, for some reason the turbo veins or control just decides to jump around. I dunno, like I said, I will unplug the EGR next.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was pulling my 8K trailer up a long grade a couple of days ago, I held 23 lbs boost, 2500 rpm no issues, my ECT to EOT was 205 to 214, my boost held there as long as I had my foot in it.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Later calibrations will deboost around a 15 degree delta between ECT and EOT - depending on power input (ie heavy towing).

With your intake and an external oil cooler you clearly have no issues at those temps, unless you have a calibration that thinks there is an issue.

That being said, when was the last time the turbo was off for an internal inspection/cleaning?

Last edited by bismic; 06-07-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Later calibrations will deboost around a 15 degree delta between ECT and EOT - depending on power input (ie heavy towing).

With your intake and an external oil cooler you clearly have no issues at those temps, unless you have a calibration that thinks there is an issue.

That being said, when was the last time the turbo was off for an internal inspection/cleaning?
that was my thoughts.

What is your strat??
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am immediately suspicious of the EGR valve (thinking that the backpressure may have forced it open), but thought the EGR portion of the intake was removed for the Gogo setup...

PS. I believe that the temp delta also takes into account the LOAD% that is on the engine...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM

it would be interesting to have AE hooked up when this is happening to watch a few pids
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I am immediately suspicious of the EGR valve (thinking that the backpressure may have forced it open), but thought the EGR portion of the intake was removed for the Gogo setup...

PS. I believe that the temp delta also takes into account the LOAD% that is on the engine...
ya, the valve is there, but the entire thing sits down in a fully open hollow intake, so if it is open or closed, it not re-directing boost/air anywhere, gogo just gives the option to leave the plug port, and I took that because others have reported loss of power when egr was totally removed, its there just to make the computer happy I guess. I will try to unplug it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
that was my thoughts.

What is your strat??
I buy the delta things, at times the ECT was probably lower and the EOT was hotter, so the delta was bigger, means nothing with my separate systems, but the computer does not know that.

I can check my strat, but I did find various years 6.0s that had posted with this same problem on different forums, but nobody closed out the threads, they never fixed it, or they never posted the fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.