Project Frankenstein has begun.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Project Frankenstein has begun..

Well after WAY too many problems with the 6.0, as well as being left stranded on the road at least4 times a year(thank God for AAA), I have finally decided to take the leap to the dark side.

I found a local place that is very knowledgeable who is going to do the cummins swap into my truck. I already bought the motor today(07 CR 5.9l cummins with only 66k miles) complete with everything. It is still in the donor truck and will be getting pulled out monday, then shipped to my shop. I will probably keep it stock for now until I can get everything to pass smog which I'm sure is going to be a headache.

I will keep you all posted of the progress as we go along. I am still trying to figure out which tranny I am going to go with so I can get all of the parts ordered. What do you guys think? I can either go with a built 47re, an Allison, or the 5r110/4r100. If I stay with the ford tranny, Brian from BTS and John from JWT both said I should go with a built 4r100 as they are a lot easier to program and can handle way more power than the 5r110. I have already looked into it price wise and found that the price across the board is not a whole lot different for any one I go with. I will need a stand alone controller with any of them which varies from 850 for the ford trannys, to 1500 for the Allison tranny, and 1800 for the 47re. The only thing with the 47re is that I won't need the flex plates and adapters so it evens the price a little. I talked to Auto World and they like to run the Allison trannys behind theirs. Problem is none of the shops including destroked have actually done a swap using the dodge tranny. What tranny would you guys go with?

And thoughts, suggestions or comments are welcomed.

EDIT 02/01/13: Well she is finally up and running after many months. Still have a few bugs to work out which are currently getting dealt with. I posted a video of it running which is on page 24, or you can click the link in my sig which will take you to the video. Pictures are kind of scattered throughout the thread. I will post a page with everything on it when it is completely done. Thanks

Last edited by armyguy209; 02-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, I've read a lot of stuff on here and seen a couple of your threads and I've got to say, I don't blame you. It looks like you've put thousands into your truck and gone the whole nine yards even doing the BPD oil cooler. I like this engine as much as the next guy, but I guess sometimes you've got to know when to call it. Good luck with the conversion
Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Just to throw my two cents out there, I would go Allison. I know many Cummins fans out there and they all seem to say Cummins/Allison should be the combo not Duramax. Legendary engine with a legendary transmission.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
Just to throw my two cents out there, I would go Allison. I know many Cummins fans out there and they all seem to say Cummins/Allison should be the combo not Duramax. Legendary engine with a legendary transmission.
I have been contimplating an Allison behind my 7.3 for some time now. My research has led me to the fact that in stock form they cant handle the tq from a modded motor and are onlg good for about 100HP over what a dmax puts out. I love the idea of a 6spd BUT being able to handle the power is always going to be a concern. If you build it its a diff story ofcourse as it would be with any tranny.

IMO for the $$ you plan on spending you only want to do it once. I would go with a BTS. The only builder out there that offers an unlimited mileage warranty no matter what you do with your truck. Drag it, pull it, tow with it... If it breaks its covered and Brian dosent care what you use it for. That in itself is worth its weight in gold imo. Not to mention the guy really knows how to build a transmission.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cummins/allison and all tuck away in a ford 05 t0 07 body style is the ultimate combo most people say. I didn't say all people just most people.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Thanks guys. Yeah everyone says that the Ford with a cummins and and Allison is the perfect truck, believe it or not even the Dodge guys. I have been contemplating this swap for a LONG time now. I did not want to have to and dumped THOUSANDS of dollars(probably 8K) into my motor to try to have a RELIABLE 6.0. At this point I honestly dont believe there is such a thing. I think some guys get lucky and can put 2-300k miles on their 6.0 and never have a hiccup, while others can't make it to 60k without having FICM's, turbos, headgaskets, SCT fittings, ICP sensors, the list goes on, failing on them. I just spent 50k on a boat that I can't even take to the lake because my truck wants to break down everytime I drive it. I even lost the tranny which was supposed to be stout. This is what I have came down to. They wanted to tear my motor apart to "check" if my headgaskets were blown. I said no way..been there done that TWICE...never again.

I will say this though, when my 6.0 ran good, damn did she run like a raped ape. I know I won't get the same kind of power out of inline 6, but I can say that I drove a few Dodge's with a cummins and the torque makes the 6.0 feel gutless. The cummins was a slug compared to my 6.0 though. I can't really compare though because the cummins were stock and I have alot of cash on mods in my 6.0.

If I can get 5k out of my motor by selling all of the parts or even whole, I will only be out of pocket about 10k total for the swap and a built tranny. That is not too bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

our 42' RV has a cummins with an allison in it.

Unbelievable how well they work together.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Why don't you just use the tranny you have? Build it if you have to
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 AM

Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Personally, I would stay away from the Allison. In stock form, they are really nothing, they sell them on their name alone. Even built, they are not the strongest transmission out there. If you get a TRUE Allison out of a medium duty truck or motorhome, that is a different story, but performance parts are limited for them.

IMHO, you should get the dodge tranny and build it, they shift faster than the 5r110. Or you could get a 4r100. A built 4r100 is one of the strongest and most reliable trannys you can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.