6.0 Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump Leak Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump Leak Issue

Hello,

I have been working on this pain in the butt 2006 Ford F350 6.0 turbo diesel for a week straight (time added up). Had a no start just crank, only started here and there after not being started for a while but once it warmed up and the oil thinned if you shut it off, it wouldnt start back up just crank. The computer narrowed it to not enough pressure so we changed the IPR Valve. Still wouldn't work. Found the video online about the STC fitting and took engine apart again to find that the STC fitting was actually bad and got the new replacement part and put it in. Put the engine back together and it started and ran. Let it run a while to warm up and shut it off. Cranked it again and it started. Did this about ten times and drove it etc. let air out. Guy drove it for a day and then to Providence RI. On way back the engine died on him. Had it towed back to us and it is cranking but no start. Back to square one. Did an air test to find any leaks around or in HPOP through the ICP. Saw no evidence of leaks from the stc fitting or around the HPOP. Was hearing a gurgling noise which sounded like it was coming from the pump. Took the pump out and did a air test through the system without the pump attached. No air noises or anything.

Really thinking it is the HPOP but wanted to do whatever i can to find out if anything else would be the issue before buying a new pump and installing and put it back together and find out it isnt the pump. I blacked off the IPR valve hole and the hole that the stc fitting is and the drain hole. That is only three holes which i see that oil goes in or out and should be blocked to do a air test into the HPOP itself to see if any leaks in the pump. When doing that air is coming out of a little hole that is in the HPOP behind the gear. Now it looks like it is meant to be there but doesnt connect or go to anything so i dont know why air would be coming out of there. if air is coming out then i would think oil is coming out. unless i am wrong like i said i dont know what that hole is.

my question is what is that hole in the back of the pump behind gear and should that have air coming out?

if it isnt i am presuming that it is definitely the HPOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't know the answer to your question but the stand pipes and dummy plugs are also know to commonly cause this issue

That is where I would check before the HPOP... The pumps themselves go out VERY rarely on 05+ trucks.... On the 03-04 trucks the pumps were weak but no the newer ones
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah some people told me to check them. I will have to just do that real quick and see and get back if it doesnt solve the issue.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It sounds like a high pressure oil leak - did you do the stand pipes and dummy plugs too? If not that is not wasted money if they havent been done.

If my memory serves there needs to be above 550psi to get the motor lit.

Have you also monitored ficm voltage when trying to crank? Battery voltage?

The HPOP in the 6.0 is pretty reliable but nevertheless it could be a bad pump, just some other things to check imo.

Todd
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but the stand pipes and dummy plugs are also know to commonly cause this issue

That is where I would check before the HPOP... The pumps themselves go out VERY rarely on 05+ trucks.... On the 03-04 trucks the pumps were weak but no the newer ones
Damn you too quick - I was typing the SAME reply as you basically you just got it done faster, lol.

Todd
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

too slow!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This here is a picture of the back of the pump. Like I said I dont know if it is suppose to have air come out of that hole or not. I dont see that it is connected to anything and I would presume that having the air get out would be causing it to lose pressure. I didn't check there exactly to see if any oil was coming out at all. If anyone can tell me what those holes are I would appreciate it. Whether or not it is part of my issue, just so I know for future.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I did pretty much everything computer wise and couldnt trace anything. I am just trying to get all possible scenarios before taking engine further apart or like I stated I would of bought a Pump and spend all that money for no reason if so.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

IIRC mine looks the same but this is a crappy pic from the top...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

It is normal to have air leaking out of that hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.