Strange oil occurance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange oil occurance

Hi,
I had oil smoke and odor in my down pipe? Ford was unable to tell me why?
I get it home after 3 weeks and find its overfull of engine oil, at the top just onto the metal stick? Why? Oil was changed correctly and 15 quarts added. Engine only has 45k on it and has been overhauled with all the goodies at Ford. No bad injectors and change motorcraft oil ever 5k miles.

After letting the oil out no more smoke and no odor? Turbo and intercooler were soaked. It was obviously comming through the ccv. Truck has always run great.

Any reason why only a couple quarts over would be pushing its way into my downpipe, which had residue. ?

No other leaks except at the rocker box, which was prolly initiated by this. I have recently put a Banks intercooler and rerouted the ccv, no excessive blow by.

I was told to start the truck and shut it off then check the oil level. If you let it sit it shows way too full. Via ford diesel tech.

On a side note, I have an 06, books shows me to have the newer dip stick tube and stick with the yellow round handle, I have the old type? I check the build date and should have the newer one, weird?

Truck is a ok after I let out some oil?

How the heck?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The only things that could account for the increase is coolant or fuel. If neither is present somebody over filled it. They are the only possible answers.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The only things that could account for the increase is coolant or fuel. If neither is present somebody over filled it. They are the only possible answers.
You need to send a sample of that oil in to check for fuel dilution. How long has it been since you drained off some of the excess oil?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Agree. Shoot it off to a lab such as blackstone. See if there is a bunch of fuel or something.

When I got my 7.3 I had the same issue. Sure enough, it was just a goof put way too much oil in it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

I put exactly 15 quarts in my '03 and she always shows at the top of the plastic level piece, maybe 1mm below the metal.........This is before I even start it after filling back up and I fill from the oil filter housing so it all makes it's way back into the parts....Doesn't change after driving it. I'm not entirely sure she takes a full 15 quarts on account of my new oil leak even with a CCV to atmosphere. Either that or maybe your only supposed to put the dipstick handle level with the dipstick tube and not all the way down on it.

On another note though, I wouldn't be surprised if I had fuel dilution....Is there a minimum mileage limit you should run before sending blackstone a sample?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has been a few thousand miles since I let some out, hasn't gained anymore per the dip stick. I was just surprised how it was sending oil everywhere and burning it in the downpipe, white smoke and all.

Somehow it got overfilled and it doesn't like it! I checked the dip stick at ford and the length is good.

I bet this is why guys have so much oil on there boots and inside their coolers, it makes a mess of the inside of the intake too. Maybe they don't have smoke or notice it because it gets sent out the exhaust? I run a diamond eye so maybe it doesn't mate up as well and showed smoke?

The oil smells like oil, not diesel.

Maybe we all run a bit too much oil in these ans that accounts for the mess they make?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtme View Post
Maybe we all run a bit too much oil in these ans that accounts for the mess they make?
Ummm no - 15 quarts is dead on and what you should be doing, I go to 14.5 with valvoline premium blue extreme and top off the other .5 quarts to make sure I dont overfill, its 15qt exactly every time - I do that at every oil change, NO smoke NO smell NO mess....the truck runs great.

Todd
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad to hear tour trucks amazing
What I'm trying to say is that some get oily. Some even have a burnt oil smell. I know they don't take 15 quarts. Maybe some oil is cavitating inside while changing.

Has anyone ever measured how many quarts your getting out during a change?
When and how do you all check your oil?

Mine looks and runs great as well
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad to hear your trucks amazing
What I'm trying to say is that some get oily. Some even have a burnt oil smell. I know they take 15 quarts. Maybe some oil is cavitating inside while changing.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtme View Post
Glad to hear your trucks amazing
What I'm trying to say is that some get oily. Some even have a burnt oil smell. I know they take 15 quarts. Maybe some oil is cavitating inside while changing.

Well I think the main problem is not the amount of oil - never measured mine with a beaker or anything but it fills a 15 qt drain pan to the BRIM.

The 'mess' seems to come from the fact the crank case is vented directly to the intake eventually it fills the boots with oil and creates the 'mess' - there is a few places that sell the CCV mod to help prevent that from happening.

I wasnt trying to be a smartass before sorry if I came across like that - but as for the amount of oil there is far too many people doing an R&R of 15 qts to veer away from that logic.

If you are having other oil related issues pull your boots and see if they have oil saturated on them - it might be time for a CCV mod...the best one out there imo is the NCHORNET version and raul at stealth sells them for 100 bux.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.