Don't think my 6.0l likes 5-40w - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't think my 6.0l likes 5-40w

i switched to the rotella 5-40w. i had bad injector sitction. after switching drove about 100 miles then in the morning was amazed how well she ran and the stiction was almost gone, i have not ran rev x... im sure im gonna get told to go get some but figured i would post, so anyways the last few mornings the stiction has gotten worst but of course when warms up runs perfect. by the way i have 262,000 miles, so besides the stiction i dont care about that. it warms up and is fine, but lately i have notcied when i start it the idle hangs around 300 and slowly after 30 secs go to normal. sometimes it does that but and hour ago i started it idles around 300 then died did that 3 times then finally idled up. also the truck was pretty warm i parked it at 600 and got in it at 820. also noticed with a/c my rpms flucate when idleing sometimes just by the look of the rpms. so any thoughts. think my injectors are tired, even though it runs good in the morning? im not blaming the 5-40 but also didnt have these issues till i changed,,, i know i know im trying to get the rev x but i work at ford and have a 12 week old daughter and a truck payment, and a bad black smokeing habbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So you use probably use motorcraft filters, you should check fuel pressure.....

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Changing fuel filters if they haven't been done for a while is a good idea but I'd be looking into your FICM voltage too.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Like PGreenSVT said check your FICM, low voltage output will cause more problems than you could think of. Before my FICM went out I had a bunch of issues and lot of them cleared up after 15 to 20 mins. of run time. Only because thats how long it took my FICM to start making the proper voltage.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Check your FICM, change your fuel filters, add two bottles of Rev-X.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Agree with the previous post. Check the FCIM..
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM

thanks, i wantedto check it out after work today but after working all day didnt feel like staying late so i drove a customers 6.0 home. yes i plan on checking ficm voltage with the scanner and icp also just to see. i changed the fuel filters and oilfilter a couple weeks ago although i hate to admit it and it makes it worse i work at the dealer. i threw fram filters in because i wasnt paient enough to wait till work on monday. i even went against my own advice. so im going to change the fuel and oil filters to motorcraft. add 2 bottles of rev x. check ficm voltage when acting up. and check my fuel pressure tomorrow. and also i have been running offroad that is probaly dirty so, so fram filter and offroad isnt helping... im lucky to get and help after this post haha

Last edited by powerstrokedieself250; 06-05-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

As far as the oil filter the Fram filter is identical. Fuel filters I don't know.

Dik
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedieself250 View Post
thanks, i wantedto check it out after work today but after working all day didnt feel like staying late so i drove a customers 6.0 home. yes i plan on checking ficm voltage with the scanner and icp also just to see. i changed the fuel filters and oilfilter a couple weeks ago although i hate to admit it and it makes it worse i work at the dealer. i threw fram filters in because i wasnt paient enough to wait till work on monday. i even went against my own advice. so im going to change the fuel and oil filters to motorcraft. add 2 bottles of rev x. check ficm voltage when acting up. and check my fuel pressure tomorrow. and also i have been running offroad that is probaly dirty so, so fram filter and offroad isnt helping... im lucky to get and help after this post haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
So you use probably use motorcraft filters, you should check fuel pressure.....

Sent from my SCH-I500
So maybe you should change those filters....

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As stated above the oil filters are the same. Motorcraft and Fram are repackaged Racor, no problem. The fuel filters are likely ok too.

Takes 5 minutes to check FICM voltage with a multimeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.