6.0 locking torq convertor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 locking torq convertor

what does it actually do? and why do u want it too do it ? im about too buy a tune for towing what gears should i have it lock up?

Last edited by jordan07; 06-04-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Subscribed
Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had a hard time trying to figure out what a toon was
Got it

Locking the torque converter transfers the power to the ground more effeciently then with it unlocked! But you don't need it lock up too early unless your at the drag strip... Just get a tune from whoever with their normal TC lock... (around 50mph IIRC) not the early one and see for yourself, then maybe have them tweak it to have the early TC lock in their and you will see the difference for yourself! Everyone is different!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

The torque conerter lock is exactly that, the TC locks and there is no slippage, a direct connection between the flexplate and front pump. Kinda like a clutch in a manual transmission. This is a great feature because you loose about 200 rpm with the lock up at lower speeds. More at higher engine speeds.

I have a tune that locks the converter early and I don't like it. Over 2000 rpm when the converter locks makes a turbo fart and a huge cloud of smoke if you are on a freeway on ramp trying to get up to speed. Ultimately I get pissed, hammer it, and the truck shifts 'normal'. Its either putt like a gram'ma or hammer down.

Normal TC lockup should occur at 45mph and light throttle pressure. More throttle, the later the lock. This actually feels like a 5th shift event.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
The torque conerter lock is exactly that, the TC locks and there is no slippage, a direct connection between the flexplate and front pump. Kinda like a clutch in a manual transmission. This is a great feature because you loose about 200 rpm with the lock up at lower speeds. More at higher engine speeds.

I have a tune that locks the converter early and I don't like it. Over 2000 rpm when the converter locks makes a turbo fart and a huge cloud of smoke if you are on a freeway on ramp trying to get up to speed. Ultimately I get pissed, hammer it, and the truck shifts 'normal'. Its either putt like a gram'ma or hammer down.

Normal TC lockup should occur at 45mph and light throttle pressure. More throttle, the later the lock. This actually feels like a 5th shift event.
I've read some of the tunes offered lock the converter in 1, 2 and 3 along with a Jake brake function if you want it. So would this be locked in 1 at about 45 mph and stay locked in 2 and 3 or would it be normal after shifting and lockup again at a pre determined RPM in 2 and 3?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Locking in 1st is a bad idea I believe. Not enough fluid flow or something to that effect.
The jake function is actually a turbo brake.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
I've read some of the tunes offered lock the converter in 1, 2 and 3 along with a Jake brake function if you want it. So would this be locked in 1 at about 45 mph and stay locked in 2 and 3 or would it be normal after shifting and lockup again at a pre determined RPM in 2 and 3?
I've only seen the real aggressive tunes lock in 2nd gear and it's for hauling a$$, not mpg. My tune that locks the converter does it at 42 mph indicated. (45 mph actual). Sounded good on paper, but it lugs the motor if you're not driving like a gram'ma.

Not sure what you mean by Jake brake function because the only Jake brake I know of cuts fuel to cylinders to help stopping power (big rigs). An exhaust brake will help maintain speed going down hill w/out needing as much brake pedal input.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

pretty sure the tuning wont even command to lock the converter in first gear, no matter what, so its not even possible.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
I've only seen the real aggressive tunes lock in 2nd gear and it's for hauling a$$, not mpg. My tune that locks the converter does it at 42 mph indicated. (45 mph actual). Sounded good on paper, but it lugs the motor if you're not driving like a gram'ma.

Not sure what you mean by Jake brake function because the only Jake brake I know of cuts fuel to cylinders to help stopping power (big rigs). An exhaust brake will help maintain speed going down hill w/out needing as much brake pedal input.
The jake brake function should really be called turbo brake as jsilvas mentioned. It commands the vanes of the VGT to increase exhaust back pressure to aid in braking using the exhaust back pressure.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
pretty sure the tuning wont even command to lock the converter in first gear, no matter what, so its not even possible.
When does the converter lock in stock configuration? Is the converter locked when in overdrive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.