Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the 6.0

647 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  colo_dually 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,

So I posted in the introductions forums a couple of days ago and I have been lurking around looking for the answers to my questions. After sifting through a lot of forums I figured I'd just post here since this is most likely the place that the answers are going to be.

To make a long story short, Purchased a 2004 CCLB 6.0 Powerstroke with about 142K on the clock. Truck as far as I can tell is bone stock, right down to the grandpa cap on the bed.

So I've been digging around and have found that the most common answers to first mods to be done are, EGR Replacment / Delete and there are various schools of thoughts on both. I'm leaning towards delete since it seems like a better option.

After that it seems that exhaust, a monitor of some kind, head studs, and a whole pile of other things.

So I've been trying to wrap my head around all of this and I find that after reading a lot of threads that my head hurts and I have to walk away from the computer. Everything from coolant mucking up the works to deltas from tuners.

Right now I'm just looking for a little guidance from someone a little more knowledgeable than myself. Perhaps a good sticky to read or perhaps a couple of very to the point threads.

I'm looking to educate myself on these motors, not get a lot of opinions on what I "should" do. I can make an informed decision myself thank you very much.

Just looking to get the facts on these motor, not looking to spend a few thousand dollars....right now anyways.

Anyways thanks for reading and helping.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a thread I put together that every 6.0L owner should read.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

The first mod, and the only one I say isn't optional is a monitoring device.
Edge Insight CS or CTS is my preference.

As for the EGR cooler deletion, deletion is not always the best option. Particularly with the way the emission laws and enforcement are getting stricter. The upgraded unit from Bullet Proof Diesel is worth looking into.

Best thing you can do, get that monitor, learn what it can and cant tell you. Learn as much about your truck as possible. Unlike the 7.3L, the 6.0L cant be neglected and expect it to run forever. Only maintenance, and pro-active solutions as problems come up, will keep that truck on the road.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.