Big trip coming up; take her easy or go hard to expose weakness? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big trip coming up; take her easy or go hard to expose weakness?

As the title says. I'll be driving from Middle Georgia to the Blues of Eastern Oregon in July-August-ish of this year. Just about right at 2500 miles, did the drive coming east in my last truck. All through the Great Plains, 9000'+ summits in the Rockies and over to around 4-6K' at my real home.

I'll be moving most of my household, plan on having the trailer loaded to max GVWR of 12K (Gooseneck 4horse+LQ). I'll probably be right around 20K GCW....So, opinions on throwing the Super Panty Dropper back in and driving her hard for the next month to let any weak spots rear their ugly head so I can fix 'em before the drive or just keep easy and hope all goes well?

This thought just popped into my head earlier, I will say still leaning towards taking things easy. Just don't know how else to test , by simulation, that big of a load (engine load) in my current environment of this flat state. They barely have hills here, more like big piles of dirt. Don't want to get stuck somewhere broke down paying ridiculous amounts of $$ for labor/parts, and with 2 dogs to take care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just drive it normal. Im taking a trip starting in June too. Florida -Colorado-Texas- N. Carolina-Florida. Its over 5,000 miles. Im not worried one bit. Will be pulling aprox 17,000lbs in the mountains of Colorado.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Yea, I'm still leaning on taking it easy....Sucks being a 4th owner. But It's ran good for the 10k miles i've owned it and it's not puking coolant or anything. Couple oil leaks, should have the rear one fixed/figured out before long...Really don't care bout the front main as long as it don't get worse.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lol I would take it easy, just drive it normal and you'll be fine. Do you have a cts or any monitoring devices?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Just the ScangaugeII at the moment....Should have EGT/Fuel pressure in June. Before any real towing happens. I usually take it easy whether empty or towing, and downshift early; I hate lugging an engine.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sounds like you'll be just fine for transfer season
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Funny because I just did studs and gaskets on my truck and also wondered the same thing.I have been taking it easy,just did my first trip not nearly the miles,you are going.I was pulling my rv @13k total weight 21k.Things seem fine,I just took it easy.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

As long as you are monitoring your temps and FICM volts and know that everything is good now, you should have no worries about that trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.