New to powerstrokes! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to powerstrokes!

Hey guys, new to powerstroke world. Haven't finished signing all the papers yet but it is still finishing getting inspected and a few leaks addressed and she is all mine, a 2006 F250 XLT FX4 76k on the odometer. Any pointers or things I should have the dealership look at before I take full possesion off it? Where to start with improving MPG's? It has only a aFe cold air intake. Exhaust looks to be stock.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by frakchered; 05-31-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
New to English too? If your looking for better MPG go get a Prius. You should have the dealer look at everything. While your at it look at the stickies for all the info you looking for.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Everyone one is a f$&kin critic, it's not easy having mechanic fat fingers and typing on a iPhone, especially when auto correct kicks in. I don't always go back and retread what I type.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

A good set of custom tunes will get you the most MPG increase along with a turbo back exhaust. Not all of us are critics here. Just the retards who wanna seem big and bad. Lol

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
Hey guy, new to world. Haven't finished signing all the papers yet but it is still finishing getting inspected and a few leaks addressed and she is all mine, a 2006 F250 XLT FX4 76k on the odometer. Any pointers or things I should have the dealership look at before I take full position off it? Where to start with improving MPG's? It has only a aFe cold sir intake. Exhaust looks to be stock.

Get them to pull the Oasis Report and Carfax, and get yourself a monitor like the Edge Insight CS or CTS. Start reading up on the 6.0L on this forum, I can point you in the right direction if you need, just shoot me a PM.

As for mileage, I saw the best return on investment via custom tuning via SCT, and I wouldn't put any other tuner on these trucks. Again, any questions shoot me a PM.

Welcome to the ORG and the 6.0L.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have the dealership pull up an Oasis report, this report will tell you what has been done under warranty in the past. With the '06, the STC fitting was one of the main issues. The original design is faulty.

Most big dealers and shops have scan tools to read engine parameters, or you could borrow/buy a monitor to check things out before you sign the papers. Your gonna want to find out what the FICM volts are while cranking the motor and while the motor is running, any FICM volts below 46v with good batteries is a sign of a failing FICM. A failing/weak FICM can destroy injectors.

Your also gonna want to know what the ECT and EOT temps are. If the difference between the two are more than 15*, you have issues with the oil cooler. A blocked up oil cooler can cause a domino effect and cause headgasket failure.

Fuel pressure is another concern, when psi drops below 45psi, your damaging the injectors.

You can check out these two links, read over them and use the knowledge to go over the intended truck, any issues you find from these links can be used to lower the final cost before signing papers.

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

This next link can provide insight on issues with certain years, along with issue you may want to address after your purchase.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

The Edge Insight CS/CTS is a good monitor, so is the ScangaugeII. Since you have an iPhone, also consider the DashBoss. If you were to buy the Edge CS/CTS with everything to monitor the 6.0, your looking at $500-$600. For the ScangaugeII to completely monitor the 6.0 it's around $300. With the DashBoss to monitor everything with the 6.0, it's $300.

When I say completely monitor, I'm referring to the additions of EGT and fuel psi.

Here is info on the DashBoss.
DashBoss monitoring review.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
Hey guys, new to powerstroke world. Haven't finished signing all the papers yet but it is still finishing getting inspected and a few leaks addressed and she is all mine, a 2006 F250 XLT FX4 76k on the odometer. Any pointers or things I should have the dealership look at before I take full possesion off it? Where to start with improving MPG's? It has only a aFe cold air intake. Exhaust looks to be stock.

That's good info in the two previous posts.
And don't let one dumbazz make you think you're in the wrong place. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgable people on here.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

That's some good good info by Colo and lilpooh. Take that info to heart. I have a 7.3 so the intricate details of the 6.0 are ot too well known ot me. But there are some great threads on this site about the 6.0 and the weaknesses and fixes.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The english bit was a joke. I was having a long day just took it out on the wrong person. My bad! Welcome to the .ORG As for everyone else who like to talk all big and bad you can kiss my @ss

Last edited by WarChild; 05-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.