what tuner/programer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what tuner/programer

Yep another tuner thread, I didn't want to hijack so here is my thread.

ok so I just bought a powermax turbo, so now I am thinking of getting a tune to compliment it.

First off I am not studded so do not want anything too extreme. Just a little more umph and better towing. Maybe I will studded in the future, but not sure right now.

So I am thinking either the atlas 40 tune or an sct with IDP's tunes, or even someone else's.

A couple questions
For the atlas tune, I went to powerhungry's website and it seems like you either need to send in your ficm or get a gryphon cts/cs Am I right?

For the sct I see there are several different types. The sct3, the itxs wireless, the ipd preprogramed.

So I know this is a loaded question, but which one is right for me?

Thanks for your input

2005 F-250 cc 4x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with the sct sf3, then go to truck source diesel and get the "super panty dropper" tune but make sure you tell him your not studded and they change a couple things for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What he said. SCT is your best option. My first duty station was Annapolis MD Loved that place.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackrz View Post
Yep another tuner thread, I didn't want to hijack so here is my thread.

ok so I just bought a powermax turbo, so now I am thinking of getting a tune to compliment it.

First off I am not studded so do not want anything too extreme. Just a little more umph and better towing. Maybe I will studded in the future, but not sure right now.

So I am thinking either the atlas 40 tune or an sct with IDP's tunes, or even someone else's.

A couple questions
For the atlas tune, I went to powerhungry's website and it seems like you either need to send in your ficm or get a gryphon cts/cs Am I right?

For the sct I see there are several different types. The sct3, the itxs wireless, the ipd preprogramed.

So I know this is a loaded question, but which one is right for me?

Thanks for your input

2005 F-250 cc 4x4
For the PHP FICM tune, you have 3 choices on how to get the tune into your FICM. You can either send in your FICM to PHP so they tune it. You can put your name on a list to have a programmer sent to you so you load the tune and return the programmer back to PHP. Your last choice is to buy the Gryphon FICM programmer to keep and swap in/out any of the 4 FICM tunes as much as you want.

Since you have a Powermax, you really should be running a custom tune to get the most out of that turbo, so why pay more for one of the SCT programmers that have canned tunes you'll never use. I suggest you get a SCT X3 that only does custom tunes. The SF3, iTSX, and IDP #3015ID all have canned tunes on them, granted they also hold 3 custom tunes, but you'll be paying more for those tuners because they have the canned tunes in them.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
What he said. SCT is your best option. My first duty station was Annapolis MD Loved that place.
Daytona isn't too bad

Thanks for your service
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
The Silent Service

Go with the SCT X3 based on not having to pay for the stock tunes you won't run on your truck while that Powermax is installed. Ensure the tunes are written for stock head bolts, and your Powermax.

Here's a counter point to the whole thing however. If you are building the truck for a little more power and better towing, why did you purchase a Powermax particularly on stock bolts?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree that the SCT is your best option. Hands down. For your FICM tuning, the option are PHP, IDP, and KEM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
with all the above
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post

Here's a counter point to the whole thing however. If you are building the truck for a little more power and better towing, why did you purchase a Powermax particularly on stock bolts?

Everything I have read it's a good addition over stock. I am planning on getting studs within the next 8 months.

You disagree?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
The Silent Service

The Powermax is a double-edge sword depending on the build. Up until recently it was the only aftermarket option for the 6.0L that hasn't cost an arm and a leg. Some folks tow well with it, under custom tuning, others complain its hot and laggy. It will build boost around the 35# range is memory serves, and that is something I would advise strongly against until those studs are installed. You may cause bigger issues going that route before the supporting modifications are on board.

I realize that you have already purchased the Powermax, but take a look at the Dura-stroke turbo threads on ORG, by Madpowerstroke. He's making a lot of headway offering a turbo that may out perform the Powermax with what you are trying to accomplish. Particularly under towing conditions, on stock injectors. Any questions, shoot me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.