Which one of these bullet-proof kit is a better chioce? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which one of these bullet-proof kit is a better chioce?

Hi, my 2004 F350 Super Duty needs a full replacement of EGR, head gasket, oil cooler etc. was looking online for some cheaper parts cuz the shop are way to expensive.

So I came upon this site called Performance Machine and saw 2 kits for the job and wondering which one would be the better choice? heres the link:

Complete TOTAL Solution Kit for 6.0L Powerstroke

Complete MASTER Solution for 6.0L Powerstroke

Also if I look for a diesel mechanic to install these for me, how much would be a reasonable price/hour?

Thanks all for helping me !

Last edited by iCrazyNoob; 05-30-2012 at 03:51 PM.
iCrazyNoob is offline  
post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Careful with the Black Onyx head gaskets. I would use Ford Head gaskets.

05 Extended Cab FX4
SCT w/ Gearhead Tunes
Ble-Blah mod...
Edge Insight CTS w/EGT
PHP Tuned FICM-Hercules
a2elvis is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Neither. Split it all up, get it all from different places. cheaper but not the kind of "cheaper" you're currently looking at. Tousely.com has good price on brand new oil cooler. brownsdiesel.com for studs. dozersdiesel or holderdownperformance for oem gaskets and orings. rivercitydiesel for egr delete. all jmo.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Premium Member



 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 20,256
Thanks: 118
Thanked 179 Times in 169 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
Careful with the Black Onyx head gaskets. I would use Ford Head gaskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Neither. Split it all up, get it all from different places. cheaper but not the kind of "cheaper" you're currently looking at. Tousely.com has good price on brand new oil cooler. brownsdiesel.com for studs. dozersdiesel or holderdownperformance for oem gaskets and orings. rivercitydiesel for egr delete. all jmo.



2005 F250 King Ranch Work Truck.

Studded and Deleted
175/30% Injectors from WARREN DIESEL!!
Barder Stage 2 Turbo
Warren Comp Tranny w/ PI TC
Six0~Stroker is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM
The Silent Service

 
colo_dually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would avoid both of these kits at all costs. Most of these kits are more for marketing and selling products that aren't necessary. The main issue I have with both of these kits is the use of Black Onyx gaskets, which have a higher failure rating than OEM.

Also, it is not always preferred to delete the EGR cooler depending on where you live and the strategy of your truck. Some of the latest flashes from Ford will throw a CEL upon deletion. An alternative to deletion is an upgraded unit from Bullet Proof Diesel.

I'll append my bullet-proofing thread that discusses all of this in detail, along with what has worked for other members. As for labor costs, there is a lot that should go into the pulling of these heads. First, getting them tested, and ensure they are absolutely flat. If you have to purchase new heads, ensure those are taken and checked as well. Second, ensure that no corners are cut the job should take around 30 hrs (per Ford). Shop around for cheaper labor, by all means, but ensure the shop you are dealing with knows how to work on this engine and powertrain. There is plenty that can go wrong, from folks not knowing exactly what they are doing.

The '05 trucks had a few year specific flaws you will want to correct while you have the engine torn down. These are explained in the thread as well, it will save you the cost of needing to go back into the truck later.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
colo_dually is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Neither. Split it all up, get it all from different places. cheaper but not the kind of "cheaper" you're currently looking at. Tousely.com has good price on brand new oil cooler. brownsdiesel.com for studs. dozersdiesel or holderdownperformance for oem gaskets and orings. rivercitydiesel for egr delete. all jmo.
I have tried to look up the first site tousely.com and nothing came up in google, and which o-ring would it be, i'm not very knowledgeable in these engines no idea what that is

so far I found: River city EGR delete kit, holderdownperformance OEM HG and ARP stud<- cheaper than brownsdiesel,


Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
I would avoid both of these kits at all costs. Most of these kits are more for marketing and selling products that aren't necessary. The main issue I have with both of these kits is the use of Black Onyx gaskets, which have a higher failure rating than OEM.

Also, it is not always preferred to delete the EGR cooler depending on where you live and the strategy of your truck. Some of the latest flashes from Ford will throw a CEL upon deletion. An alternative to deletion is an upgraded unit from Bullet Proof Diesel.

I'll append my bullet-proofing thread that discusses all of this in detail, along with what has worked for other members. As for labor costs, there is a lot that should go into the pulling of these heads. First, getting them tested, and ensure they are absolutely flat. If you have to purchase new heads, ensure those are taken and checked as well. Second, ensure that no corners are cut the job should take around 30 hrs (per Ford). Shop around for cheaper labor, by all means, but ensure the shop you are dealing with knows how to work on this engine and powertrain. There is plenty that can go wrong, from folks not knowing exactly what they are doing.

The '05 trucks had a few year specific flaws you will want to correct while you have the engine torn down. These are explained in the thread as well, it will save you the cost of needing to go back into the truck later.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
as for the thread I have read it and the truck is simply a modified dump truck for my dad and I'm simply looking for the most dummy proof way to fix up the engine

-Installation of gauges or monitor like the Edge Insight CS/CTS.
Since I do not drive the truck and I don't think my dad will even look at them even if installed I will just pass on these.
-Replace the turbo oil lines, as required.
I will look this up
-Replace the STC fitting, stand pipes, and dummy plugs (2005-2007).
Does a 2004 model need these modifications?
-Updated Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring.
Any sites that you would recommend me getting there from?

Last edited by iCrazyNoob; 05-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
iCrazyNoob is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member



 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 20,256
Thanks: 118
Thanked 179 Times in 169 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Tousley Ford Parts Depot

2005 F250 King Ranch Work Truck.

Studded and Deleted
175/30% Injectors from WARREN DIESEL!!
Barder Stage 2 Turbo
Warren Comp Tranny w/ PI TC
Six0~Stroker is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
The Silent Service

 
colo_dually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrazyNoob View Post
. . .
as for the thread I have read it and the truck is simply a modified dump truck for my dad and I'm simply looking for the most dummy proof way to fix up the engine

-Installation of gauges or monitor like the Edge Insight CS/CTS.
Since I do not drive the truck and I don't think my dad will even look at them even if installed I will just pass on these.
-Replace the turbo oil lines, as required.
I will look this up
-Replace the STC fitting, stand pipes, and dummy plugs (2005-2007).
Does a 2004 model need these modifications?
-Updated Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring.
Any sites that you would recommend me getting there from?
First counter point, the monitor is one thing you cannot afford to be without on the 6.0L Powerstroke. Any 6.0L owner at a minimum has to keep an eye on the ECT/EOT delta and FICM voltage. Not every moment of every drive, but on at least a weekly basis these items need to be checked. The $300 bucks you invest on the monitor will save you a lot of headache, when you prevent the HG's from blowing due to EGR cooler failure, or injectors going out due to low FICM voltage. The 6.0L, as with all modern diesels, cannot be neglected as the old 7.3L's could, you need to keep up on what going on under the hood.

The '05 shouldn't need the new turbo oil lines. I would get the fuel pressure spring taken care of though.

Six0~Storker covered the parts site. I would check with your local shop, just in case you can get a better deal.

The majority of part numbers, and general prices, are covered in the my bullet-proof thread.
colo_dually is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Premium Member



 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 20,256
Thanks: 118
Thanked 179 Times in 169 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get a monitor... atleast spend $150 on a scangauge2!!!




Sent from my crazy phone that posts behind my back...

2005 F250 King Ranch Work Truck.

Studded and Deleted
175/30% Injectors from WARREN DIESEL!!
Barder Stage 2 Turbo
Warren Comp Tranny w/ PI TC
Six0~Stroker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome