For those who monitor coolant pressures..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For those who monitor coolant pressures.....

Hi All,

Curious for feedback for those who monitor coolant pressure. I towed my 8000lb camper about 180 miles yesterday on highway 36 from Hannibal, MO to Kansas City, MO which I would say is fairly hilly terrain. Just idling in camp ground my coolant pressure was up to 7psi. By the time I was 10 miles down the road I was between 12-14 psi. I was struggling to keep speed at even 60mph. All temps, EOT/ECT are good, 6* delta regularly and never more than a 8* delta and oil temp never over 220. So, I pulled over and pulled the Degas bottle cap off obviously taking coolant pressure down to zero. Then, towed the rest of the way home and coolant pressure didn't go past 9 the rest of the day(150 miles).

Also, I'm just not impressed with the power I'm getting, I just think towing 8000 lbs should be easier than it is with my truck. I can't maintain speed 65/70mph without the tranny kicking down to 4th TC locked or 5th unlocked.

My buddy thinks I'm dealing with pre-blown head gaskets and they just aren't bad enough yet to make my coolant puke or be drinking it.

Side note, my EGT's were sitting at 1000 almost all day unless going down a hill and would get down to the low 900's before coming back up. The truck also shifts out of 5 converter locked before it hits 1100 degrees.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, frustrated with how my truck is towing and wanted to see if my pressures are similar to what you all see.

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Which tune were you running? I was towing a 7000lb camper this weekend with my truck running Matt's 8K tow tune and I was able to run 75-80mph the whole way. And besides that my truck is lifted and has 35" tires.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Matt's Unlimited Tow because 8k was making pressures even worse since it makes more power. I was hoping I could tow the way you describe your truck.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Keep in mind you have a 16psi cap, any pressure upto that that is what the system is designed for. With your EDAS you should be more concerned with the rate that the pressure increases, than with the maximum pressure(unless it goes above the 16psi the system is designed for). For me the 8k tow is a much better tow tune than the unlimited tow, but you have to keep and eye on your things. I just towed a 10k 5er, with 5k trailer behind it, without going over 1180 on EGT at 70mph with power to spare on Matts 8k tune. Not to say that will work for you, there are alot of variables(truck, driver, trailer, terrain) but for me unlimited tow is a dog(manual trans here so not much differant than stock) but 8K is much better. PM me if you have more questions, or want more details.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

when you guys would tow stock would it downshift just doing up a decent hill? B/c he can't maintain 65mph even...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.