Stupid Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid Question

I try to avoid asking stupid questions but I really don't know the answer to this one so here goes... on a Super Duty dually, say your in a pinch without a spare tire or the spare is flat can you take off one of the duals on the rear and put it up front in an emergency? As in if you had one of the fronts go flat or had a blow out up front? Just so you are able to get to a tire shop to get your regular tire fixed. Someone told me you could but I think its fishy... but looking at the rims it looks like the rear is the same as the front just turned around backwards on the outside rear.

Thank you for my stupid question for today.

Now something more serious. What temps you guys running on the tranny for a 6.0? Mine has been running around 165 but now with the heat wave its been around 175 today running lite. So what is considered a high temp for the 5 speed torqshift? I also noticed that when my coolant got up to 210 the fan kicked on but that was with the tranny at 175 and the oil temp at 216, after a few minutes with the fan running then cutting out the temps were C:198, O:203, T: 165. Do these look right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In a pinch any tire will do. Running a single wheel on the rear will get you to where you can get it fixed. I wouldn't haul heavy or tow heavy running a single out back on a DRW.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM

So I take it you can use one of the rear wheels (rim and tire) up front from the rear then? Just wondering. I need to go to Lynchburg, VA tomorrow to see a family member that suddenly took a turn for the worse. I have had this truck now for about 6 months now but still haven't got a dang spare for it yet. Looking at getting new wheels next friday and keeping one of the old ones as the spare. I'm in a pinch so I really don't have much choice, but I will be traveling lite, no camper or load.

EDIT: I should add these are Ford factory 17 inch wheels just to clear up any confusion on my part.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM
N.S.D.Q.

While I have never owned a DRW I recall all the wheels are the same so they can be used in any position. You could use a wide (12"-14") SRW styled wheel in the back. Saw a guy that runs his DRW with 14" wides in the back. Took the front adapters off and ran regular wheels up front.

Maybe if you had access to some SRW wheels you could pull the front adapters...keep the takeoffs for the spares.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:02 PM

For the purpose of this trip I just need to know that I can just in case I have to. Hopefully I won't even have to think about it or do it lol. I like the setup I have now but I need some new wheels on her bad, the alloys on her now are dull as crap and we have tried everything to bring them back out. I think who ever owned her before me just ran some of those chome covers over the wheels.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the input Heavy. Any info on the temps guys?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Im running the same roads. Ive yet to see anything over 196 ECT even running the a/c a lot. highest EOT was 206 pulling my 6500lb 7x14 trailer. Trans runs about 160 empty, about 165 loaded.

Highway temps are 188/190 ECT and 195-196 EOT trans stays under 160 while running a steady 60mph.

Jason
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
For the purpose of this trip I just need to know that I can just in case I have to. Hopefully I won't even have to think about it or do it lol. I like the setup I have now but I need some new wheels on her bad, the alloys on her now are dull as crap and we have tried everything to bring them back out. I think who ever owned her before me just ran some of those chome covers over the wheels.
Hey I read on an RX-7 forum that oven cleaner works good to clean alloys so I tried it this past weekend on my rims and it did work well. Mine were all covered in brake dust and road salt. After te oven cleaner I just pollished them up with some rim polisher crap. I think it is a huge improvement. Maybe you could try that
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM

So far I have tried everything from several big name polishes to even a light acid wash and then polish... nothing. I will try the oven cleaner though and get back with you on the results. May take me until Wednesday or so. As far as the temps, truck doesn't run hot, deltas are really great, just runs in the 200 range. I should say this was backroads and stop and go. Highway they seem to be the lower numbers I posted, which makes sense because of the increase in air coming into the engine bay and radiator. Maybe the radiator is pluged with some of International's casting sand???
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Yeah I just sprayed it on the rims and let it bubble for 5-10 minutes than went to town with a fine wire brush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.